Chapter 2: The Faithful Dog

On the way to your room, you have recovered yourself a little from the shock of the recent news you've received

On the way to your room, you have recovered yourself a little from the shock of the recent news you've received. And you asked Hvitserk to tell you how the things had come to that terrible end.

He told you he wasn't on Kattegat at the moment, but Ubbe has said his mother was stabbed by an arrow from behind after ask only for safe passage to the now queen Lagertha.

You asked Hvitserk to leave you for a while, but instead of it, he stayed, sat at the bed right by your side and hugged you tightly, kissing your hair softly and caressing your skin endlessly while you cried yourself a river.

You've cried like that when you've heard about your godfather's death and the way he died, but you did it by yourself and not for too long, on your tent, at the camp you were living when the news arrived. You weren't there to protect your godmother or to save your godfather. And now your brothers' family is destroyed.

You feel guilty now for all the sadness into Ubbe's eyes or the angry into Ivar's. Maybe if you weren't so selfish about having a career as a shield maiden or prove yourself more than a "probably-soon-to-be-wife" of one of the Ragnarssons... Maybe you were there to protect at least your queen and avoid Ivar to suffer other great loss in his life.

Hvitserk doesn't seem to be concerned about his mother's death, but there is no new on him about it: you know he wasn't that close to Aslaug since Ubbe and he almost died on that iced lake years ago, but his company is making you feel better anyway. He seems to be more concerned about comforting you than feel his own sorry.

That was the first time you caught yourself crying with anyone else holding your tears. And you don't remember Hvitserk's hugs being so warm and sweet, with caresses so good and cozy.

He seems to ignore time, sliding his fingers through your hair slowly and whispering sweet words to your ears.

"That's ok. We're all back together now and we'll fix it for you ok?", He says, gently.

Smiling one of that smiles that makes you feel strange since you saw him again.

You're feeling a little better now. Enough to look at him, staring his smile for a while before you touch it with your fingertips, making it turns into a small curve on his lips, with a tender look into his eyes.

"Time was good with you, brother." You curve your lips on a small and shy smile to him.

But he seems to be satisfied: at least you weren't crying so hard anymore.

He holds your hand and gently kisses your fingertips before using his own to dry the last tears from your face.

"And you became too pretty to cry this way, smukke." Once again, he is smiling.

Such a pretty and sweet smile, so easy and shining... Almost hypnotic, imprisoning your eyes so hard that you almost can't answer his soft words.

"You said you brought us some presents." He reminds you, clearly trying to change your mood to something better "Can I have mine first?"