nine

"Here we are," Katya said opening the door to her apartment. It was nice and Katya had made it cozy since she hadn't been working. There were throw blankets and pillows on the sofa that were all soft and mismatched, and a big armchair the same way. There was a fake little fireplace with a television perched on top of the mantle. Katya took her coat off, hanging it on a hook by the door.

"Your place is lovely," Trixie remarked. She looked up at the paintings on the walls opposite her.

"Thank you," Katya hummed. "Want a glass of wine?"

"Please."

Katya disappeared into the kitchen and returned with two glasses of red wine. She'd also brought the bottle tucked under her arm. She sat them down at the coffee table and sat on the sofa next to Trixie, who had made herself at home taking her shoes off and pulling her feet up on the couch.

Katya sighed. "Do you... mind if I smoke? outside i mean."

Trixie looked up at her. "Yeah, um, can I bum one?"

"Sure. Come out to the porch." Katya led Trixie through the kitchen and past the sliding doors to her little patio.

"I had no idea you smoked."

"I, well I don't anymore."

"You should keep it that way, but I'm not gonna stop you from having one."

They sat on the patio in comfortable silence, Katya paying more attention to how beautiful Trixie was rather than her cigarette.

Trixie sighed, which caught Katya off guard.

"Can I tell you something?" Katya looked up at Trixie, who seemed to be deep in thought.

"You can tell me anything," Katya replied. Her heart was racing with anticipation.

"I um, well I don't know if you..." she trailed off and looked up at Katya. Katya was holding her breath, both terrified and elated about what Trixie wanted to ask her.

She almost prompted Trixie, but before she could trixie was kissing her. Katya felt her whole body relax as she kissed Trixie back. Trixie's lips were warm and soft despite sitting on the porch in the cold. Trixie's hand gripped the back of Katya's neck pulling their faces closer.

"I've wanted to kiss you since the day I met you," Trixie whispered.

"So have I, babe"

Trixie broke the kiss, and Katya looked up at her in confusion.

"Let's go inside."