XXIV.

All my frantic thoughts vanished once the door shut behind me

The gymnasium was large. In the center was a large stage surrounded by rope. A wide range of equipment and machines were scattered throughout the room.

But my concentration wasn't on the room itself. A few feet in front of me was–

Holy guacamole...

In front of me was a heaving Damon. He was wearing gym shorts and a tight short sleeved shirt, sweat gleaming on his skin. His hair was disheveled and his face was fixed into a scowl as he focused on the punching bag in front of him. His muscles clenched and moved as he put more force against the bag. I never thought a sweat was attractive, but he just proved me wrong.

I flushed at my thoughts, my eyes stuck on his arms. My body immediately responded and tried to fan my red face.

Bad Rosaline!

Damon hadn't noticed me entering as he continuously pounded the punching bag with his fists. His hands were wrapped to protect them as he made calculated moves and controlled his strength.

I don't know how long I drooled over him until he realized he wasn't alone. He stopped and turned in my direction, his body heaving up and down from exertion.

Not knowing what to say as he examined my body head to toe, I pointed at the door like a moron.

"I just got back," I pointed out the obvious and mentally smacked myself. I got more nervous as he didn't respond, so I continued talking.

"Jasmine was able to get me released. Did you know she was a lawyer? I'm not going to lie; it surprised me since she's a dancer. I'm guessing it's more of a hobby to spin around on a pole– not that there's anything wrong with that. I found it fun myself," I continued to ramble as Damon moved closer to me, relief and amusement in his eyes. "Did you also know she had this weird earpiece in her ear? I think she might be a spy or something because I thought I saw her on the street the other day. Had a wig and everything. Or was that yesterday? I lost track of–"

Damon cut me off by pulling me into a hug, wrapping his arms around me tightly. For once, I didn't care that I was being squished and hugged him just as fiercely. I ignored the sweat on his body and rested my head against his chest, his slightly faster heartbeat calming my nerves and stopping the bad thoughts I had moments ago.

"I think that was the most I've heard you speak all at once," Damon said with a hint of amusement and caressed my red cheeks with his wrapped hands.

I smiled in embarrassment, but swooned when he winked at me. Actually winked!

I didn't know how it happened so quickly, but Damon felt like home to me. Nothing felt more right than being by his side. He was my partner in crime.

At the thought, my eyebrows furrowed and I slowly began to pull away. My mushy thoughts were pushed aside and replaced with images of Damon doing violent acts, hurting people. I shuddered. Damon noticed my reaction and his face turned neutral. His green eyes seemed to pierce my soul as he looked directly into my brown eyes.