XVII.

We got an extra long chapter today. Enjoy!

I sat on the patio table as Josh and Julian stared at me

I sat on the patio table as Josh and Julian stared at me. It was unnerving having the twins look at you like you were a new toy to play with.

I'd been living in the Monroe mansion twenty-four hours ago and it had been overwhelming. Damon kept me cooped up in my room until I demanded he showed me around. The place was huge and I was afraid of getting lost. I wondered if my phone could be used to GPS myself around the property.

I remembered how I laid on my bed with Damon as we got to know each other better. I was pleasantly surprised as I got to know his likes and dislikes. I asked him question after question. He didn't seem to mind sharing, which I didn't expect since he wasn't the biggest talker.

Damon was twenty-nine, about six years older than me. He was born in the city on July 27th and had been friends with Xavier since they were in diapers. His parents were retired and traveling the world, his father giving Damon the vice president position at Monroe Protective Services. Though I asked about his work, Damon was vague, claiming that he oversaw national clients and was confidential.

I happily cuddled into Damon's side until I fell asleep. When I woke up, the other half of the bed was cold and empty.

Since I'd been awake and decided to explore, Josh and Julian had stayed glued to my side. They were already waiting in the hall when I exited my room. Wherever I went, they went.

I was a bit paranoid at first, but I was slowly adjusting. Their goofy behavior helped and Julian reluctantly promised to stop mentioning his knives every few minutes.

I hadn't seen Maria, but she texted me claiming that Xavier wasn't letting her out of his sight until we went to Elysium.

I didn't get to see Damon either, much to my displeasure. Julian said he was at work and would be back before I left.

Now it was five in the afternoon and we were waiting for everyone to meet up with us.

I didn't mind waiting. The patio was beautiful and the lights were mesmerizing to watch. While it was cold, I was tucked in by my jacket.

It would've been peaceful if I didn't feel my bodyguards' eyes burning holes through my body.

"Why do you keep looking at me like that?" I finally asked when I couldn't handle their staring any longer.

The twins grinned sheepishly as Josh rested his chin on his palm.

"Just doing our job, ma'am. We were ordered to keep you safe." Josh said and his brother nodded.

"Please don't call me ma'am. Call me Rosaline," I reminded them as they shared mischievous looks. They knew I didn't like the nickname, but they kept at it.

"But those are our orders, ma'am," they both echoed and I facepalmed in frustration. I couldn't help the whine that left my lips.

Julian and Josh had entertained me all day. First, Julian showed me his knife collection and there was a... large variety. There were swords, daggers, butcher knives– almost anything imaginable, Julian owned it. Julian eagerly showed me his favorite dagger, which he named "Bethany". I pretended to admire it to keep him happy.