23 - Rooftop

My nerves were out of control as my mind coursed over all the different possibilities of what could happen next. I was locked in a cage and everyone else was deep asleep. Pennington had my best friend and my brother, and he was on the verge of summoning a demonic gate, which I singlehandedly needed to put a stop to.

Out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw the hazy outline of a demon but it vanished once my vision focused.

Concentrate, I thought, trying to calm myself down. I wouldn't stand a chance against them if I couldn't get ahold of my emotions.

I slowly rolled onto my side and peeked through the bars. I expended a lot of energy just for that simple movement. My muscles were heavy and languid. Even though I was awake, my body was still fighting off the gas.

And it didn't help that my mind was fuzzy as well.

All of our weapons were piled up in the farthest corner of the room. The two swords were leaning against the wall. Seth's baton and a half dozen of Mara's blades were thrown carelessly on the ground.

My attention was then drawn to Pennington as he held up his hand, a signal for the men behind him to lower their weapons, which were presently pointed at Luke. "Lucy, is this the one who told you about the boy?"

"Yes sir," Lucy said. There was a trace of regret in her voice. It was so fleeting I almost didn't even hear it, but it was definitely there.

I allowed myself a brief moment to hope. Maybe Elijah and Luke were right when they thought there was a chance she'd turn on her tyrannical father. If only there was a way I could reach out to her.

Or maybe it was just the aftereffects of the gas, making me see things that weren't really there.

"Lucy, how could you?" Luke said, twisting to break free of the two guys holding him down. His attempt failed; one of the men roughly grabbed a fistful of his long blonde hair to keep him in place. "Connor's only twelve!"

Howard Pennington scoffed. "At the age of twelve, I was already building my company from the ground."

My heart ached as I finally got a good look at my brother. His whole body sagged with exhaustion and he had dark circles under his eyes. His bound hands were ringed by red, the skin underneath rubbed raw from the ropes.

"You're a horrible man," Luke spat. "AJ is going to bleed to death if you don't get him to a hospital!"

"He may already be dead," Pennington said coldly.

"You don't know that! And how do you plan on getting away with murder? And kidnapping?"

"Once this child opens a portal for us, the cops will be of no importance. The world will be thrown into chaos, and the well-being of one singular person will be the last of your concern."

"You can't do this."

Lucy stepped in front of Luke. "Father, if his presence is bothering you, I can take him away."

"We'll keep him as reassurance that the child will do as we ask," her dad responded, beckoning his men to grab Connor. "Come. It's time."

It felt as if my blood had suddenly turned to ice.

Trying to clamp down on my frantic emotions, I willed time to stop, like when Mara had the gun in her face. I diverted all my energy into it, but it didn't work. I was too emotional.The men kept shuffling towards the door, dragging my brother and Luke along with them. 

My mind was racing at a million thoughts a second.

They couldn't leave. They had to stay here where I can keep an eye on Luke and Connor and still help AJ.