05 - Four Months

Seth glanced around awkwardly, taking in all the rosy-cheeked pregnant women and rows upon rows of tiny socks and onesies. "Maybe this plan wasn't very well thought out."

I gave him a look. "You think?"

"You got any better ideas? At least this won't be the first place they check."

"Just wondering, are you some undercover agent or something? How did you learn to fight like that back at the construction site?"

"Let's just say I didn't get kicked out of my old school for making the Principal's Honor Roll."

We were crouched behind the display, our shoulders touching. His face was so close to mine that I could make out every freckle on his nose and see how iridescent his blue eyes were. He had smooth pale skin that contrasted nicely with his dark hair and long, thick lashes.

I came to the disheartening realization that Seth was prettier than me.

"Hello, young couple!" a booming voice chirped behind us.

I felt like I jumped out of my skin. Seth's hand automatically went to his baton, but thankfully he didn't pull it out. It would've frightened the chipper saleswoman half to death. To her, we must've looked like two jittery delinquents plotting to swipe some baby booties.

"Um, hi," I mumbled.

"Do you need help with finding anything in particular?" she asked, flashing an overly excited smile.

Seth said, "No, I think we're fi—"

"We currently have a nice sale on cribs and bassinets, which will be perfect for the future addition to your family." Her ponytail whipped back and forth as she talked. I found myself wondering how one person could possibly contain so much energy. "They're very soft and extremely safe."

"Future addition?" I asked, confused.

"No need to be shy, dear!" She patted my belly gently. "How far along are you? Four months?"

Seth almost choked from sniggering.

I was too shocked to respond. How many times did I need to be reminded today that I've skimped out on exercise these last few years?

The saleswoman misinterpreted my surprise. "It's very common for young expecting mothers to be nervous. It warms my little heart to see that your boyfriend is supporting you through this wonderful, but difficult, chapter of your life. Congratulations to you both!"

I laughed out loud. "He is not my—"

"I'm not her boyfriend," Seth said. He smirked and threw his arm around my shoulder. "I'm her husband."

"What?" I yelled, eyes widening.

He pulled me against him and whispered, "Don't cause a scene." Then he said to the saleswoman, "We actually got married a couple days ago."

That seemed to only make her more excited, which I didn't know was even humanly possible. "How wonderful! I didn't want to assume because I didn't see any rings, but that is wonderful! We actually have a newlywed's package if you're interested...."

I stopped listening because my attention was drawn towards the large window at the front of the store. Three figures were entering the mall. With their huge sizes, the men stood out from the shoppers around them. My whole body stiffened and I felt my heartbeat skyrocketing. They weren't the same as the men we encountered earlier, but I knew without a doubt that they were the ones from the van. They slowly scanned the stores around them. Then one of them touched his earpiece and said something into it.