16 - Dinner Guest

Grimacing, I made my way outside.

Seth was at the doorway, and he pulled me into a hug the second I opened the door. "Oh God, I'm so sorry. I should've tried to stay."

"It's okay," I said, resting my forehead against his collarbone and feeling butterflies in my stomach.

"I tried to go back, but she locked her mind—"

"You tried to do what?" I said, lifting my head. "Without me?"

"You were hurt, and I didn't want anything to happen to your dad."

"That's sweet, but it's probably better that you didn't. From what I saw, it looks like he can handle himself. And Lucy would've destroyed you," I said simply.

Rolling his eyes, he said, "Thanks for the vote of confidence."

I snorted. "Like the one you gave me? I can't wield a staff to save my own life, huh?"

"Hey, that was part of a plan that worked, if you didn't notice," Seth said defensively. "I was trying to get her to screw up, which she did."

"How did you know that would work?"

"I may not be as insightful as Elijah, but it doesn't take a genius to notice that she kept freaking out every time she talked about why her dad wanted you when he already had her," he said.

"Well I wasn't exactly paying attention to her reactions. Too busy trying not to get killed."

"Speaking of getting killed, we need to get you stitched up," Seth said, pulling away from me. "I can take you back to my place. I have alcohol and sutures—"

I shook my head to stop him. "My mom wants me to go to the hospital. She's gonna go ballistic if she finds out I let you sew me up in your dingy apartment."

"Your cut is not as bad as it looks," Seth said. "Trust me, there's no need to go to a hospital."

"You seemed pretty worried in the dream."

"Cause at the time, we were being chased down by a psychopath, and I thought you would bleed out before we escaped," he said.

"I don't know how I'm gonna hide that from my Mom though. She'll ask for a hospital bill, or..." My voice trailed off and I sighed. "Maybe it's time to let her know. I think I need to tell her about Dad. Her and Connor."

"It's solely up to you whether or not you want to tell them, but for now, let's get back to my place."

Taking the duffel bag from me, he tossed it into the back compartment of the motorcycle and passed me the helmet. He gingerly helped me onto the bike before climbing on himself.

I wrapped my good arm around his waist and tucked the other securely in my lap, snug between our bodies. "Try not to drive too recklessly today," I said. "I can't hold on properly."

"I still remember the first day, when you didn't want to touch me but resorted to ripping my clothes off instead," Seth said, and I could tell by his tone that he was smirking.

I rolled my eyes and laughed. "I barely knew you, and I did not feel comfortable touching you. And get over yourself, Seth. I was not trying to take your clothes off."

He fired up the bike and we stopped talking.

The air felt different than usual. It was cooler, more refreshing, and smelled like nighttime. I couldn't see that many stars because the lights from the city drowned them out, but the sky was still beautiful. The roads were mostly empty since it was the middle of the night.