13 - The Mystery Continues

So entangled in my thoughts, I almost didn't hear the sound of someone knocking on the door.

Even though it had been hours since I discovered the letter, I still felt adrenaline pumping through my veins. Knowing that my father didn't willingly leave, I was overcome by a renewed sense of hope. The hope was soon followed by a wave of dread because the alternative meant that he was kidnapped and locked away somewhere, unable to get help.

And how did his kidnappers manage to get him to leave a note telling us he ran off? 

I pulled open the door to find Luke on the other side, grinning goofily, like usual.

"Oh, hey."

"Why do you look so surprised to see me?" he asked. "Didn't I text you to say I was coming?"

I moved aside so he could enter. "Yeah. I guess I forgot. Plus, it's almost midnight. I didn't think you'd come over this late."

"Always knew I was a priority in your life," he said, amused. "And I wanted to eat dinner with my family and get cleaned up first. They wanted to make sure I was okay after what happened at school today. I had to throw away my clothes from the attack. Everything was torn and messed up."

"Yeah, same here. It's been a long day. After that horrible stuff that happened at school and then...well, just some other stuff." I slumped onto the couch and hugged a pillow to my chest.

Luke sat down next to me. "You seem to always have stuff happening lately. What's going on?"

I sighed. "Connor threw a tantrum today because he caught Mom cleaning out Dad's office and—" And then there was a fluttering sensation in my stomach as I was reminded that my Dad didn't actually leave. Connor was right earlier when he said Dad was going to come home.

"...and your brother throwing a tantrum makes you smile, why?"

"Was I? I'm just a little happy because having to be around Tantrum Connor beats having to be around Zombie Connor. At least it means he's not numb anymore," I mused.

"That's one way of looking at it. I can take him out this weekend for some exercise or something if he needs a distraction. Do you think he'd like that?"

"I think he misses you. He was asking about you today." I eyed my best friend suspiciously. "Luke Bennett, how is it that you always know what to say?"

"I just live under the assumption everyone misses me. It's a blessing and a curse, really. Sometimes I just want some peace and quiet by myself, but the ladies just can't seem to help themselves. They just throw themselves at me. Can you believe it?"

"I really can't," I said, chuckling.

"Too much charm can be a bad thing too, believe it or not."

I smacked him with the pillow. "You're an idiot. But speaking of charmed ladies, how was your talk with Lucy Pennington?"

Almost immediately, his eyes lit up. "Dude, seriously, she is so awesome. I've always dreamed of what it'd be like to talk to her, but I couldn't believe how easy it was. I thought she'd be like all the other girls who were freaking out and crying, but she was so composed. She was even trying to make sure I was okay, although I was perfectly fine."

"Were you? I could've sworn I saw you tearing up a little. Remind me, was it before or after Mara knocked you to the ground?" I teased.

"Oh, shut up. By the way, what the hell was up with that? Does she carry blades with her everywhere?"

"Kunai knives," I corrected.

"What?"

"They're her kunai knives. And yes, she does carry them with her everywhere."