Chapter 29

Ravenpaw stood up, her paws shaking with excitement. She padded over to stand at the foot of the Leader's Rock, feeling the gazes of her Clanmates on her as she did so. Her whiskers quivered as she turned to face the Clan.

"Ravenpaw," Shallowstar meowed, "Do you promise to uphold the warrior code and defend the Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

Ravenpaw felt as though her heart was going to explode with excitement and nervousness. "I do!" She cried, her voice ringing clearly through the camp.

"Then from now own you shall be known as Ravenshade," Shallowstar meowed, "StarClan honors your strength and commitment to your Clan." She jumped off the Leader's Rock and went to her nose to Ravenshade's shoulder. In return, Ravenshade licked her ear.

"Ravenshade! Ravenshade! Ravenshade!" The Clan cheered. Stepping back from Shallowstar, Ravenshade turned and faced her Clanmates. Palefoot, Thornwhisker, and Shadepelt rushed to congratulate her. Out of the corner of her eye, though, she saw Iceclaw and Blacktail holding back, their eyes narrowed. She also saw Silverflight looking at her with that strange look in her eyes.

That's fine, then. Ravenshade thought. Let them be like that. I'm a warrior now!

Shallowstar nodded to Ravenpaw, a look of warmth in her blue eyes. "Congratulations, Ravenshade. You are a warrior now. And tonight you shall sit vigil and guard the camp for your Clanmates."

Ravenshade's heart soared. She dipped her head to her leader and purred thanks as her Clanmates congratulated her. She saw her mother standing in the back of the crowd and met her gaze.

Fine. You might not have helped me become a warrior, but Nightshadow has! She thought as she glared at Blacktail. And he told me I'm going to be the best warrior the Clan has ever seen!

And I promise I will.