Chapter 20

"Ravenpaw, it's time to wake up!" Mouseclaw called into the den. "We're going on patrol now."

Yawning, Ravenpaw stretched and got to her paws. She slipped out of the den and saw that the rest of the patrol was already waiting by the camp entrance, other than Mouseclaw who was standing outside the apprentice's den.

"Alright," Ravenpaw said, shaking her fur out. "I'm ready." She raced across to the entrance with Mouseclaw at her side. Thornwhisker greeted her with a friendly wave of his tail.

"Are we all ready now?" Asked Thistlefang, who was sitting beside his brother. The dark brown tabby's tail was twitching impatiently.

"Yes," Ravenpaw said enthusiastically with a wave of her tail. She flexed her claws, feeling energized after a nice long nap.

"Then let's go," Thistlefang grunted, twitching his tail irritably before leaving the camp. Thornwhisker and Mouseclaw exchanged a quick glance before shrugging and following after Thistlefang.

Thornwhisker's supposed to be leading the patrol! Thought Ravenpaw. Not his mouse-brained littermate! Who died and made Thistlefang leader, anyway?

She followed the older cats with a sigh, annoyed that Thistlefang had to be so rude and pushy. Her annoyance soon faded, though, once Thornwhisker took lead of the patrol. It was a nice, quiet evening out in the forest. A warm breeze rustled the leaves of the trees above.

"Where are we heading first?" Ravenpaw asked, slipping between Thistlefang and Mouseclaw who were a few paces in front of her, to walk beside her mentor.

"I was thinking we should check the DarkClan border first," Thornwhisker meowed, "Just in case that group of fox-hearts is up to any more tricks." A growl rumbled in the brown tabby's throat.

"Good idea," Mouseclaw agreed from directly behind Ravenpaw, almost startling her. She hadn't realized the gray tabby had gotten that close to her heels. "You never know what that Clan's up to."

As the patrol padded on, Ravenpaw lifted her head and opened her jaws to taste the air. The wonderful forest scents carried with the breeze. She could smell earth, trees, and prey as she walked alongside Thornwhisker. A feeling of strength and courage rose through her. This is my territory. I belong here. I feel it with my soul.

When they reached the border, the smell of DarkClan instantly overrode the other scents that Ravenpaw had been enjoying. She frowned, annoyed that the smell of the rival Clan had to be so strong and swamp the wonderful smells of her own Clan's territory.

"This border sure smells strong today," Mouseclaw commented, sniffing a clump of slightly taller grass that grew near the roots of a pine tree.

"It does," Ravenpaw agreed, beginning to mark their side of the border. As she marked the territory, Thornwhisker, Mouseclaw, and Thistlefang did the same. When they were done, Thistlefang flicked his tail and gave a satisfied nod.

"DarkClan better not mess with us again any time soon," Thistlefang growled, whisking his tail loudly along the grass. Mouseclaw growled in agreement, and Ravenpaw flexed her claws as she remembered the recent battle with DarkClan.

It's their fault that I have to wait to get my warrior name!

The patrol had went on without any incident, and Ravenpaw was tired once again. She was ready to crawl into her nest and curl up to sleep. When the dusk patrol reached camp, only four cats were still awake.

Silverflight and Shallowstar were quietly talking beside the leader's den. Palefoot sat close to the camp entrance, grooming her fur with soft strokes of her tongue. Birdflight sat a few tail-lengths away from her, looking as though he was deep in thought.