Good Enough - Chapter 3

Like the idiot that I am, I waited all night for Mick's text to come.  It never did.  Trying not to feel like the complete loser I must be, I sigh and wipe away the tear in my eye.  Just because a guy says they'll text, it doesn't mean they will, I told myself.  Get a grip.

The next morning I roll out of bed and barely make it to school on time.  Cappy won't be pleased with my appearance but she can just deal with it.  I was barely able to put some lipgloss on and brush my hair.  Good enough.

As I'm walking to first period, she materializes out of nowhere and grabs my arm.  "Stay away from Mick or you'll regret it," she hissed in my ear.  I stood there stunned.  Queen Beth was threatening me?  

I looked in her creepy green eyes and said, "You may want to tell Mrs. Moon that as she assigned us to be partners for the book report.  Out of my control Beth."  I ripped my arm out of her grasp and walked away.  Unfortunately, she followed me.

"It's obvious you like him geek girl.  I laugh at the thought you actually might think he'd return those feelings.  This is Mick Stanford we're talking about, my Mick Stanford." 

I pushed my hair over my shoulder and gave her a bored look.  "Hmm, I'd heard he dumped you after finding out you cheated on him with Ryan.  And if memory serves me well, I swear he told you yesterday, in front of me I might add, to leave you alone.  If he's yours he sure has a funny way of showing it Beth."  I gave her a little wink and opened the door to my class.  I heard her give a little shout of frustration and stomp away.  I smiled.

My good mood over putting Queen Beth in her place left when I walked into Mrs. Moon's class and saw Mick sitting with two of his friends.  I lowered my eyes and walked to the back row.  Cappy was already sitting there and she gave me a look as I sat down.

"Um Andie, you'll never get him to notice you looking like that."  Of course this is coming from the girl wearing neon green and spiky hair.  I rolled my eyes.

"I know Cappy but there is more to life than Mick Stanford."  I gave her a look that told her to drop it.  Luckily, she seemed to get the message.

I took out my notebook and textbook.  I couldn't help but look over at Mick a few times and feel my heart jump every time.  He was just so beautiful.  And from the little I was getting to know him, he seemed so kind as well.  Then I remembered he hadn't texted and my heart sank.  Wow, somebody invent a potion to get over crushes now please, I said to myself.

Luckily just then Mrs. Moon started class and I got drowned in the sorrows of Ernest Hemingway.  Mrs. Moon has such a gift of making everything she teaches so fun.  I wanted to kiss her for helping get my mind off Mick for an hour.  

All too soon, the bell rang signaling the end of class and I sighed.  Cappy gave me a concerned look and I just smiled at her.  Snap out of it Andie, I scolded myself.  

As I got to the door to leave the room, I felt a tap on my shoulder.  I turned around expecting more lecturing from Cappy only to find the man of my dreams staring at me.  My heart gave a lurch again and I froze.

"Hey Andie.  I started Jane Eyre last night.  It's a little slow but I think I'll be able to get through it.  Have you started it yet?

As he talked to me we naturally started walking out of classroom towards my locker.  "I haven't yet, sorry.  I plan to tonight.  I know we said we'd start it asap so I will."

He smiled at me.  "No problem but make sure you do.  I don't want a slacker for a partner."  He bumped me a little with his hip and I tried hard not to let the electric current I felt at that affect me too much.

"Oh Mick, I'm anything but a slacker.  You may wish Mrs. Moon wouldn't have assigned us together once we're done."  I grinned as I said that and couldn't believe I'd said that.  Where did that come from?

We reached my locker and I did the combination and opened it up.  "Oh really?," I heard him ask.  "That is definitely interesting.  I still can't believe I didn't know you before this Andie.  I'm sure I won't regret Mrs. Moon making us partners."

I felt a flutter when he said that and cleared my throat.  "Well, let me know when we're done.  It's still too soon to tell."

I got what I needed and shut my locker.  As I turned to get to my next class I heard him ask me, "Wanna come over to my house and start reading it after school?  Coach cancelled practice for some family thing so I'm free."

My heart stopped.  I swear, my heart actually stopped beating.  I think my eyes also bugged out of their sockets too.  HOLY CRAP!

He stood there awkwardly as I didn't say anything.  "If you can't, that's fine.  I know this is short notice."  That snapped me out of my shock.  He was actually worried I didn't want to hang out with him??

"No no.  After school is great.  Sorry, I was just making sure I didn't have anything."  Yeah, that's it I laughed to myself.  If he only knew.

He gave me a little smile.  "Oh well good.  Meet me at our bench after school then?"

Our bench?  I think I actually just swooned.

"Sure.  I'll see you then."  Amazingly I think I was able to pull off not showing how affected and excited I was by his words.  I think I could have won an Acadamy Award for my performance.

As I watched him walk away, I really did pinch myself this time.  And guess what?  I wasn't dreaming...

************************************************

Authors Note:

Not my best chapter but neccessary to fill in where the story is going.  Tell me your thoughts.

As always vote, comment, fan.  I really do love it.  It makes my day, no joke.

I have big plans for this story.  Stay tuned. :)