A Burning Battle

"Oh, burning Alzagesh," prayed Draya while charging against the dragon, "may your flame ignite my body! May your light turn me unburnt! May your fire blaze my strength!"

Inside the horned helmet, the paladin's eyes glowed in yellowish orange. Golden flames spread all over her armour, including the sword and shield. In response, fire grew inside the purple chest of the beast, quickly erupting towards its mouth. Ready to fry the woman, the monster vomited a cascade of scalding flares upon Draya, as if hell itself had come to swallow her.

Light and heat had burst the ground where the paladin stood, melting the floor rocks and diving into the earth. Out of the endless stream of fire, a scorching woman jumped, her shield covering the face as her sword pointed fiercely to the creature. Draya was a comet ascending against the burning flow, her battle cry louder than all of the crackling flames.

"Die, you beast!! For Alzagesh!!!"

The igneous blade then cleaved the scales and opened a blistering scar from the mouth to the cheek's end. Blood did not come, for such diving heat was infused to the flesh. The flaring rift opened on the dragon had about nine metres; the purple behemoth screamed in agony as Draya fell to the ground from the big height, landing like a furious meteor. The grass around her instantly inflamed, but not as much as her growing rage.

While the monster wailed, meeting real pain for the first time, the dark-skinned paladin said:

"You're harder to pierce than I thought. My strike should have cut your head in half. That's a mistake I shall not commit again. Be prepared!"

The woman on fire used her increased strength and leapt towards the dragon's face once again, catapulting herself in the air. Rampant, the beast swung its tail against the soaring enemy. Draya quickly lashed her sword against the giant scaled cylinder. In a flash, the paladin drilled the tail, perforating through flesh and bones, crossing it as if it was soft butter. Her unstoppable trajectory aimed at the dragon's head and only.

Taking opportunity in that deadly attack, the reptile opened its jaws and intended to crunch the little human, just as so many it devoured before. It didn't matter she was in flames, for the dragon was accustomed to fire within its mouth. The monster moved the head and as if it was eating a firefly, it bit the paladin. Or so the dragon wished.

"You'll need more than teeth to see the end of me!" Draya bellowed.

In between the huge sharp chain of fangs, the paladin equilibrated her feet, the shield protecting her from the teeth above. It was very dented, yet not broken. The human was using all of the strength she received from Alzagesh to avoid the bite from the monster, and so she knew she wouldn't endure for long. But Draya was good in irritating people, so she knew the dragon would try something else but just trying to crunch her.

And there it came. Outraged, the purple beast got prepared to spit fire once more. Draya could see the light ascending from the giant throat.

"I'm fireproof, you idiot! Throw a volcano eruption over me and it won't matter! All I have to do is to wait!" she yelled to the dragon as if it could understand her words. The woman was ready to receive the flames when she noticed that the light coming was... blue.

Against her expectations, a freezing and powerful gust of air was blown by the dragon. The paladin was spat from the mouth no more in flames, but with an ice layer all over her body. She fell dozens of metres, fortunately hitting a tree before the ground. Draya's fall broke all the branches until she opened a little crater on the square grass.

The woman also prayed for divine resistance, but she knew that with that fall, all her power was drained. She could pray again if she wasn't about to faint. Her faith increased her constitution endurance, but it did not block any pain. And there's a limit a human can take of pain without falling unconscious. Draya was experiencing this very threshold.

The paladin was feeling colder and colder. When she realised, all her surroundings were frozen. The dragon continued to breathe ice on her, creating a thick cover of shiny glacier. She didn't know where her sword and shield were, neither could she move to look for them. The end was near. Even with all her body crystalized, the face could still breathe and talk. Draya shouted:

"So the dragon can spit fire and ice. You better end me while you can, monster, or else I promise I'll bring the fury of Alzagesh upon you!"

"I know," responded the beast with a thunderous voice inside Draya's head, surprising the woman.

The dragon then approached the frozen paladin and descended its enormous claws against her.    

🐉🔥❄💀🗡🔥😇

Hey, dear readers! Please, I wanna know, have you enjoyed this battle? Was it good? Comment and let me know! Remember: if you find any grammar mistake, please let me know that I'll correct it right away. And if you really liked the story, support me and give it a star! It makes all the difference, believe me! Well, that's it, guys. See you next chapter!