Chapter Thirteen: The Attack

Sophie's P.O.V:

     I thought I would wake up feeling better, but instead I wake up to a fever. It's the cherry on top for my sundae. As if things have not been bad enough for me already, now I am also sick. Just great. I feel my forehead, it's really hot. Though my body is hot, I can't help but shiver. I go into a fetal position and snuggle in closer to the comforter. My teeth chatter  uncontrollably and I breathe out hot air. I want to cry out in frustration, but that won't help with anything.

     After debating with myself for a bit, I decide to go against my body's will and get up from the bed. I'm obviously not going to get medical care here by anyone, so I need to care for myself. I go to the drawer and pull out one of my shirts. I walk to the bathroom and turn the water on cold. I let the water run on the shirt and then wring it. I fold it till it's big enough to cover my forehead and I walk back to the bed. Hopefully this helps a bit. I cringe the moment the cold towel touches my hot forehead. This is for my well being. If I didn't die while starving in the basement, I just might die from a high fever. Life is so unfair. 

     Time passes by and I don't feel any better, my body is still very hot. It's now past 12 and I don't feel like getting up anytime soon. The silence was soon interrupted by yelling. I can hear the familiar voice of a man yelling, not in English of course. I stay very silent trying to see if there is any words I can capture, but no it's all too different. It clicks, that man's voice is Vincent's. OH MY GOSH! His voice is getting closer and another voice is heard trailing behind which sounds like Evan. Fuck, what do I do? I need to think fast. I uncover myself and it was like getting a bucket of ice cold water thrown at me. I sit up, and automatically feel dizzy. I ignore it and get up. I walk into the closet in the bathroom and sit in the corner. I am shivering non-stop so I bring my knees to my chest in hope I can warm up a bit more. I bring my head down to my knees and hug myself tight. Oh man, oh man, oh  man. He sounds so pissed. 

     I hear the bedroom door swing open harshly, banging onto the wall.

     "Where the fuck is she, Evan" he yells. I hug myself tighter if that is even possible.

     "She was in here last night" Evan says calmly as if he was completely unaffected by his yelling. How is that possible, that man sure has some strong vocal cords. I hear shuffling across the room and the bathroom door opens. I know hiding in the closet isn't a genius idea, but at least it bought me some time. 

     I keep hiding my head not daring to look up at him. I'm scared. 

     It stays silent for a while. The tension in the room is slowly suffocating me. A cold hand grabs my forearm and pulls me up, my body sways. I look down away from him, I don't want to see him. He grabs my chin and tilts it up. His cold eyes stare deep into mine. I'm still shaking and don't know what he will do next.

     He shakes his head, "pathetic". He grips my forearm tighter and pulls me with him.  He pulls me out of the room. Evan only looks at me with pity as we pass by.

     I nearly fall down the stairs, I can't keep up with his long strides. We make it to the kitchen where he gives me a final push and I fall to my knees. I let my head hang down and I don't dare to look at him.

     "Don't think that just cause Evan saved you, you won't have to do anything around here. Get cleaning or i'll make sure Evan won't be there next time to save you". I nod my head as saying that I understood him. He's always finding a way to put my life on the line if I don't obey. I hear a door slam indicating that he has left. I let out a breath of air I didn't realize I was holding in. 

     A pair of heels appear in front of me. I look up, Victoria. Of course it's her. A sly smirk is on her face, I can see the joy in her eyes from seeing me like this. 

     "Well, seems like I lost a bet" she pouts. "You have more lives than a fucking cat, next time, you won't be so lucky" she starts to retreat. "Now get up and be useful". 

     I slowly stand up, but the dizziness hasn't gone away. My body is trembling, the fever is still high. I do the most I can, most of the time holding onto something to keep my balance. 

     This day seemed to go on forever. I haven't had an appetite today, but I know I need to force something down. Ironic I was starving yesterday and today I don't have an appetite. I make a warm soup and pour some in a bowl. As always at this point, I am alone in the kitchen. I don't plan to eat here, I feel like I'll pass out at any moment so I carry the bowl and walk as best as I could back to the room. 

     I haven't showered or changed my clothes since yesterday and I would, but I just don't have anymore strength in me. I sit up in the bed and start eating the soup. It takes me a while to finish it, I had to keep reminding myself that no one else was going to take care of me and they would let me die. That was my small motivation and it worked. Throughout the day I also made sure to keep a water close to me to stay hydrated. Feels like I have to fight to stay alive most days. 

     I eat my soup in silence. I should probably eat more solids than just soup, but atleast I do have something to eat.Out of the silence I pick up a faint scream. I put my bowl down confused. It must be my imagination playing games with me now. 

     Bang!

     My eyes widen, I know that sound. I hold my breath and listen again. This time hoping it really is just my imagination. 

     Bang! Bang!

     There's more shots fired and after that it was like a warzone. I hear men yelling and some screaming in pain. I stand up and pace back and forth. What the hell am I supposed to do! If I stay in here I run the chance of getting found and killed but if I go, I'll die too. 

      This has to be like the most fucked up joke. I'm almost dying at every step I take here. It's only a matter of time before I do die. I want to laugh at how crazy this is and also cry because I don't know what else to do. I'm going insane. 

     My hands tremble and I don't know what to think. As a matter of fact I don't know what I'm thinking, because now I'm in front of the door. This is it, I just signed my death wish. I stare at the door knob hard hoping it would magically transport me to another dimension. I grab ahold of it and shut my eyes tight. I slowly turn the knob and let and breath of air out that I didn't realize I was holding in.

     I stick my head out very slowly; the hallway is clear. I don't know where exactly the shots are being fired from so I need to be careful. I reach the stairs, luckily still alive. I look down and see men lying on their pool of blood. My stomach churns are the sight. I make my way down, looking out incase more men come in. I want to look away from the scene, but it's so horrifying that I stare instead. Glass is all over the floor, there's many holes on the wall and blood splattered everywhere. It's too overwhelming to see. 

     I back up against the wall to balance myself. My legs feel like they will give up any moment, not because I feel like shit but because of this immense fear of ending up like one of these guys on the floor. 

     I don't know where else to head, many of them are outside and I have nothing to protect myself with. I pull on my hair, think Sophie, think. The basement. It's dark in there, if i hide in the furthest corner it would be hard to see me. This is all so ironic.

     I pass the dead bodies and walk towards the basement. Before I knew it I was pulled back and a hand covers my mouth. Fuck.