11 - Those Goddamned Words

"Hey uncle T," she answered meekly.

"Don't you 'uncle T' me," he hissed, taking a couple of steps so that he was standing directly in front of her. She could almost sense Steve's frown, but she didn't even look at him. "What the hell have you gotten yourself into this time?!" Tony continued.

"Nothing you have a say in, Mr. Stark."

She could see the fleeting look of hurt that flashed through his eyes, but she steeled her expression - not giving an inch.

"Reagan," he said - his voice calmer now as he pinched the bridge of his nose between his fingers. "Do you even realize who he is? What on earth are you doing with the likes of him?"

Throwing him the most menacing look she could muster, Reagan crossed her arms over her chest and looked towards an awkward looking Steve; "you're going to let him bash your best friend like that?"

"Well..." Steve started slowly, "he hasn't behaved that well the last couple of decades..."

Slapping him on his abnormally large upper arm, she glared up at him; "he was brainwashed!" she hissed.

Refusing to say another word, Reagan stared straight ahead her gaze cold and unwavering as Tony once again tried to speak to her. Following them through the hallway for a moment before stopping, Reagan watched in silence as Tony took Steve into one of the conference rooms.

"With me," the red-head she knew to be Natasha Romanoff said nonchalantly, nodding her head to the side. Smiling to herself she followed in the red-head's footsteps.

"So... " she said as she was gestured into a room; "are you going to interrogate me?"

"Yep," Natasha replied coolly, flicking on the light.

Reagan's small smile was wiped off her face the moment she saw him. Walking over to the window she pressed her palm against it, realizing he probably couldn't see her.

Looking at him, she saw a man that had all but given up - his eyes fixed on the mirror in front of him, but not really seeing. He looked sad, and nothing she could do at this moment would help him.

She knew what Natasha would say before she even opened her mouth, and therefore she didn't even flinch or turn when the question or rather statement came: "So you love him."

"Do I?" Reagan questioned, still looking at the broken man.

"I thought I did once," Natasha replied, stepping up next to her. "Many many years ago when he trained me in the Red Room. I think we both just needed something else - at least in his more lucid moments."

"Is this you trying to bond with me?" Reagan asked slowly, glancing over towards Natasha.

"Not working?" The spy asked, meeting her gaze.

"Not that kind of girl."

Natasha held her eyes for a couple of seconds and then looked back towards the super soldier. "So how did you end up with him?"

"He stumbled into the bar I work in."

"And how does one befriend the Winter Soldier

"So many questions, agent Romanoff." Reagan chuckled, but it was a hollow sound as she watched the broken man. "I went with being kind. Didn't realize he used to be the Winter Soldier until I had spoken to him a couple of times."

"What happened when you found out?" Natasha seemed intrigued now, whether it was all for show or genuine Reagan could not tell.

"We became acquaintances - and later friends."