8 - of games and prizes

Chapter 8

Bucky could feel her trying to relax, and then one of her arms slid underneath his neck and the other wrapped around his clothed waist as she sunk into his body, her head resting comfortably against his shoulder and neck in a way that hid his face almost completely. Almost immediately his own arms tightened around her waist just as the door opened completely - and he could hear footsteps making a sudden stop just inside the door.

He almost chuckled as Reagan made a show out of yawning and then probably opening her eyes slowly; "Blaine?" She croaked in a voice that was trying its best to sound tired - and Bucky knew he would have never bought her act but it sounded like this man did.

    "Who is this man?"

    "Keep your voice down, please," Reagan said, "James has worked nights for several days and has barely slept before now. I want to give him the opportunity to rest some more before he wakes up."

Bucky was surprised at the sincerity in her voice, and his human hand splayed across her back, gently putting some pressure there to tell her he was grateful for what she was doing.

    "And what is he doing here?"

    "He came in to check up on me and then he fell asleep, why?"

    "You two seem awfully close." Bucky could hear the hint of jealousy in the other man's voice and he couldn't help but let the wonderful feeling of glee wash over him.

    "Shouldn't we be?" She did well at keeping her voice innocent he noted, and Bucky barely kept himself from humming in contempt when she combed her fingers through his hair.

The next question made Bucky's insides freeze up, and he wanted more than anything to open his eyes and size this man up to see if he was a threat; "What do you know about him?"

Reagan kept calm, the question meaning nothing special to her he figured - as she kept running her hand through his hair. "I know his name, I know that he has been nothing but a gentleman since I met him, I know that he has taken care of me when I was sick, and that when he came by to check on me earlier and found me having a nightmare he woke me up and made me feel safe again. He's a good man, Blaine."

Bucky almost snorted, good man indeed.

    "How old is he?"

This made Reagan snort, conveniently covering up Bucky's sharp intake of breath.

    "I don't know, Blaine. I have not carbon-dated him."

Bucky didn't know what carbon-dated meant, but he knew it was supposed to be funny from the humor he could hear laced in her words.

    "I'm just trying to look out for you," Blaine said - and Bucky could hear the resignation in his voice.

    "I know, Blaine, but I can take care of myself. And I don't think James poses any kind of threat for me."

    "Fine," Blaine replied. "Don't come running to me when-"

    "I won't." Reagan interrupted him, "besides, how often have I come to you with boy-troubles?" She chuckled, making James believe she did it to not sound so harsh. The fingers of her right hand had found their way to the bottom of his neck now - twisting and gently running through the hairs there - effectively making goosebumps rise along his back.

    "I guess I will go then," Blaine said - resignation in his voice.

    "I'll see you later at work Blaine," Reagan replied, aren't you working the late-shift with me?"