Chapter Thirty

Mare

I watch the buildings blur past my window as Maven and I head to dinner. He says he's picked out a special spot that he knows I'll love. I don't know whether to be excited or terrified.

I don't know what to think about this entire thing. I know I still love Maven, I mean, I never stopped. But when the real him came back and he told me he loved me, I just didn't know what to do. I don't know if I can trust him. And what about Cal? I loved him once too and he cut down that tree, but does he still have feelings for me? I know I just want to be friends with him at this point, but if Maven and I end up getting back together, how will he react?

Ugh. I just need to get through this dinner and worry about all of that later.

Our transport comes to a stop, but we're in the middle of no where. There are no buildings in sight.

"Maven . . ." I start to say, confusion in my voice, but he just smiles and gets out of the transport.

He opens my door for me and I hesitantly climb out.

"You didn't bring me out here to secretly kill me did you?" I ask him.

He laughs and says, "Of course not Mare. Just trust me."

He offers his arm and I stare at it for a few seconds, trying to read past the happiness in his eyes to see if I can find anything there. But all I can see is happiness and love.

I hook my arm with his, and he smiles even wider. I smile a bit too. I guess I do trust him.

We walk along a little path through some trees that open up to a beach next to one of the lakes. There's a little candlelit dinner set out on a table and I gasp when I look up.

The stars are so bright and beautiful out here.

"Maven, this is beautiful," I whisper in awe as he leads me towards the table.

"I knew you'd love it," He responds, pulling out my chair for me.

I take a seat and Maven goes to take the seat across from me. The table is filled with plates of food and dessert, and beautiful flowers that I've never seen before are scattered in between the plates and set next to the glowing candles in the center.

"Maven, thank you," I say to him, a smile starting to form on my lips.

"Of course Mare. Anything for you," he replies, earning a blush from me.

We each start to fill our plates with the amazing food. We talk while we eat, and I notice myself laughing and smiling more than I have in weeks. I actually feel happy, something I haven't felt in a long time.

Eventually, the candles are starting to dim and we've eaten all we can. Maven stands up from his chair and takes off his shoes. 

I raise an eyebrow at him and he motions for me to do the same. I take off my shoes and follow him to where he's currently standing in the sand. 

"Maven, what're you doing?" I ask as he pulls a little black box out of his suit pocket.

He presses a button on its side and a beautiful waltz starts to fill the air. I gasp and he sets the box on a rock before turning to me with a huge smile on his face.

"Care to dance?" he asks, extending an arm.

I take his hand and he pulls me to him, putting his other hand around my waist.

"I'd love to," I say, smiling.

He starts to twirl me along to the music, my dress swirling over the sand. We dance barefoot next to the water, the stars above us, for what feels like forever. The music eventually stops and we slow to a stop with it, but neither of us lets go.

"Mare, I'm sorry. For everything," Maven says, the smile disappearing from his face. "I'd give anything to go back and change what happened."

I reach my hand up to cup his cheek and say, "The past doesn't matter. You're here now. The real you is."

His beautiful blue eyes meet mine and I suddenly realize how close we are. I'm just about to pull away when he leans in and his lips meet mine.

I freeze, not sure what to do, but I eventually let him pull me closer and kiss him back.

I don't know if it's just because of the dancing, or the food, or just tonight, but kissing him is unlike any kiss I ever had with Cal. Kissing him makes me feel alive.

When we pull apart, his hands around my waist, mine around his neck, we stand there, neither of us saying anything, but I can see in his eyes that that kiss made him feel the same way.

"Mare . . ." Maven starts to say, but I pull free from his arms.

"Maven, we shouldn't be doing this," I say, seeing the hurt in his eyes. "There's just too much going on right now and what about Cal?"

Maven runs his hand through his hair and sighs. "You still have feelings for him?"

"No, of course I don't," I say quickly. "But I don't know if he still does for me."

Maven nods and stares out at the lake for a few moments. I watch as he turns around and walks back over to me, coming to a stop inches from me.

"I know you're right Mare," he starts. "But I just can't stand around and risk someone taking you away. I need you, Mare. I love you."

He pulls me to him and kisses me again. All the words he wants to say, all the wanting for me, is all poured into this one kiss. And I kiss him back, trying to show him how much I want him too.

I'm breathless as we pull apart, but I force myself to say the words I need to say. The ones he needs to hear.

"Maven, I love you too."

He pulls me into a tight hug and I hug him back as tears come to my eyes.

"I've missed you so much," I say into his chest.

"I'm not leaving you again," he says back, tears evident in his voice.

We pull apart and he wipes the few stray tears from my cheeks.

"When we go back to that palace, we'll go through everything together. Volo, Cal, everything. I love you, Mare. You're the most important thing in my life. You mean more to me than any crown. And I'm not gonna lose you," he tells me, and I can see in his eyes that he means every word.

The flame gave me up for a crown, but his shadow will give up any crown for me.

And I'm just gonna leave it at that. Vote if you enjoyed and comment if you'd like! :)