Chapter Two

Evangeline's Pov

I watch as Mare, Farley, and that Montfort leader leave. I glance at Cal who's gaze never leaves the door even minutes after she's left like he's waiting for her to come back and run into his arms.

You made a choice Calore. And Mare's the type to hold a grudge.

I still can't believe he chose Annabel's stupid crown over her. Oh, and while he was at it, he sucked me into this mess. I signal for another glass of wine and feel mother's disapproving gaze as I quickly down it.

"Tiberias, since you're trained for war, you can tell us what we should do," my father says clearly bored with this whole situation.

Cal finally takes his gaze off the door and turns to look at my father.

"We should check with the Scarlet Guard's spies to see if we can get some background knowledge on any of Maven's plans," he says, his eyes getting sadder as he mentions the name of his monster of a brother.

I roll my eyes and get up from my throne. My parents shoot daggers at me as I walk out of the meeting room with another glass of wine. I hear Tolly's footsteps following me as I make my way down the metallic hall.

"Eve! What do you think you're doing?" he says catching up to me and turning me to face him.

I take a sip of the wine before replying. "There's no point in me attending a stupid war meeting when father won't listen to a word I have to say. And I can't stand to look at that idiotic boy's face. If he had just picked Mare like he was supposed to, I wouldn't be betrothed to that mess again!"

I continue walking down the hall and make my way towards my rooms. Tolly follows close on my heels waiting to continue our conversation in private.

I enter my room and leave the door open for him to follow. I quickly check to make sure Elane isn't around before finishing my glass of wine and throwing myself into one of my plush couches.

"This has everything to do with the betrothal doesn't it," Tolly says coming to stand next to me.

"Of course it does," I say as I roll my eyes. "We finally have everything figured out and then Tiberias has to go and ruin everything."

Tolly sits in the chair next to me and waits for me to continue.

"I finally have Elane, Tolly. We can finally be together. Still in secret, but finally together. But if I'm betrothed to Tiberias, then I have to be with him in his castle or whatever and you and Elane won't be able to come with. You're The Rift's heir. Father's going to make you stay here and Elane can't come with me."

Tolly grabs my hand and squeezes it. "We'll figure something out, Eve."

"How Tolly? This is going to be impossible," I say starting to tear up.

"There's got to be something we're not thinking of. So don't worry, I'll fix this," He says and I wipe the tears from my eyes.

I pull him in for a hug and he excuses himself. I walk to my bedchambers and flop down on my huge bed. Sighing, I think over everything that's happened.

Tolly says we can fix this. But how? I'm just father's pawn to be used in his game. I always have been, I always will be.

So this was really short and I'm so sorry about that but I just wanted to give you guys something from Evangeline's point of view. And I promise things will start getting more interesting soon!!