Chapter Four

I know I mentioned this in the description, but just wanted to let anyone know who might've missed it that this amazing cover was done by @writersblock924 and if you're looking for a great cover, I would definitely go check out her profile. Anyway, enjoy the chapter!

Mare's Pov

I'm standing at my balcony looking down into the gardens when Farley walks up to me.

"You missed the war meeting this morning," she says coming up to stand by me.

"I didn't want to see him," I reply still looking at the many flowers in the gardens below us.

Farley sighs and turns to look at me. "Mare, I know it hurts to get your heart broken, but you've got to move on. Can we at least put this behind us for now? We've got a war to win and you're playing a pretty big role in it and we kinda need your full attention."

I slowly nod and turn to face her. "So what'd I miss?"

Farley sighs and starts to pace. "Cal and Evangeline are broadcasting an announcement that they're betrothed. It's going out tonight."

I sharply inhale and clench my fingers into my hands to keep in the tears threatening to pour out.

"Anything else?" I manage to squeak out.

"Our spies reported that Maven's holding a charity ball in a few weeks. That's when we're planning to storm the palace. It'll be a perfect cover. Davidson's heading home tomorrow to gather up his army," she replies.

I nod. "Do you happen to know where Davidson is?"

"The library with Julian would be my guess. They've been almost inseparable since we've got here," she says sounding a tinge annoyed.

But then again, she's Farley. She always sounds pretty annoyed.

I leave Farley behind on my balcony and begin making my way to the library.

~~~~------------------------------------------------------------~~~~

"Davidson?" I yell into the huge abyss of books that stand before me.

"Mare?" I hear someone say and hear shuffling behind one of the bookcases.

I walk over to find Julian and Davidson leaning over some ancient looking books.

"Ah, yes, Mare. What can I do for you?" Davidson asks heading over to me.

"Farley told me you were heading to Montfort tomorrow. I wanted to ask a favor," I reply.

"Of course. What can I do for you?" he says.

"I want to go with. And not just me, but my family too. I was hoping you'd be able to find them a place to stay in Montfort," I reply trying to sound stronger than I feel.

"Of course Mare. Anything for the lightning girl," he replies and I do my best to smile. "I'll let them know."

I say a quick thanks before heading back to my rooms to start to pack. Not that I have very much.

As I'm finishing, I hear a knock on my door and move to open it, but it swings open and Tiberias rushes in.

"You're going to Montfort?" he asks and I notice that the temperature has increased since he's walked in.

"Yes, and what do you care?" I ask him replacing my hurt with anger.

He opens his mouth to say something, but quickly closes it. I turn back around to continue packing.

"I'm asking Davidson if I can join," I hear him say behind me.

I stop what I'm doing and feel myself tense. A long jet ride to a strange country with Tiberias? The whole reason I was going was to move my family out of harm's way and to escape him. I turn around to face him to find him smirking.

"What about Evangeline and your wedding announcement? Your precious grandmother won't be too happy to hear you're leaving before it airs," I say with a smirk of my own.

The temperature increases even more and I smile to myself, knowing that I hit a nerve.

"I can deal with them," he says through clenched teeth.

"Why do you want to go anyway?" I say trying to read his eyes that always display his emotions so well.

He turns away before saying, "As one of Montfort's allies, I feel like it'd be a good idea to get to know their country. See what I'm dealing with."

The way he says it makes it sound like he's trying to convince himself.

"Fine," I say harshly, whipping around to go back to my packing.

I hear him scoff before saying, "Not everything revolves around you, Mare."

With that, he storms out of my room, slamming the door behind him.

I roll my eyes. Calores. Always so dramatic.

After I finish packing, I lay down in bed and think about our argument.

He doesn't actually think I'm that selfish, does he? He knows me better than anyone. He couldn't actually think that. But then does that mean he wasn't lying about his reason for going? Maybe he actually didn't want to go just because I was. But then why wouldn't he have asked Davidson sooner?

I sigh and climb under the covers. This is all just too much. He's just too much. Like Farley said, we have a war to win and it needs my full attention if we're going to accomplish anything. I need to stop wasting my time analyzing every one of his moves and stop wishing things were different. This is how things are going to be. And thinking about Tiberias and all of our issues aren't going to help me win a war.

I feel a few tears roll down my cheeks as I close my eyes and fall asleep.