Chapter Five

Cal's Pov

I climb onto the jet and look around to find a seat. Farley and Davidson sit closer to the cockpit and seem to be in a deep conversation. Farley is holding Clara, her daughter. Mare's mom must've brought her. I notice Mare, Kilorn, and her family sitting together happily in one of the back corners. I pick a seat in the middle where I can be left alone. I end up sleeping most of the long flight. By the time I wake up, it's night and we've landed. I follow Farley and Davidson down the ramp, careful to avoid Mare and her family. The last thing I need is to see the glares they're all most likely going to give me. Especially Kilorn.

We walk off the ramp into a secluded airfield surrounded by trees. You can easily see the mountains that surround Montfort from here.

"Well, welcome to Montfort everyone!" Davidson yells to us after we've all gotten off the jet. "Everyone find a transport and we'll be on our way."

I start to head to a transport towards the back of the line when Davison puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Tiberias, I was wondering if you'd like to ride with me so we can discuss the army."

"Of course Premier," I answer and follow him to the transport at the front.

We climb inside and I find the interior of the transport to be pretty simple compared to the ones I was used to riding in when I was a prince. Of course, it was still nicer than some silvers and almost all reds would be able to afford. I sit in the seat across from Davidson so we're facing. We sit in silence as the transport begins to move. I look out the window and admire the dense forests and tall mountains that seclude Montfort from the rest of the world. We begin to climb up one of the mountains, following twisting roads and tunnels that will take us to the top. At last Davidson speaks.

"It's beautiful isn't it?"

I extract my gaze from the window to look at Davidson who's gesturing to the small towns sitting below us. Their lights are scattered across the plains and sparkle in the night. From this height, we can almost see the entirety of three of Montfort's small cities.

"You really have a wonderful country here Premier," I say in reply turning to face him.

He turns to look at me with a smile on his lips and proudness in his eyes.

"We try our best," he says in reply. "Now, shall we begin talking about this army I'm loaning you?"

"Yes, of course. Based on our numbers with the Scarlet Guard and the Rift, and my grandmother's own soldiers, we would be needing mostly Newbloods. Farley and Mare would probably be able to tell you which kinds would benefit us the most," I say.

The Premier nods his head. "I'll talk it over with them when we arrive."

I nod my head and we enter back into silence. I spend the rest of the ride looking out the window. Eventually, our transport comes to a stop at the bottom of a long stretch of stairs. Davidson gets out and I follow. The rest of our group exits the other transports that are stopped behind us.

"This is as far as the transports can go. Only a couple flights up and we'll be in Ascendant," Davidson says as he begins walking up the steps.

I follow behind him with Farley, who's still holding Clara, behind me. I can hear Mare and her family talking farther behind us. As I'm walking, I can't help but think of Mare. All those nights teaching her to dance. And that kiss. Those nights I'd fall asleep with her curled next to me. Luckily, Davidson brings me out my thoughts when he stops at the top of the stairs.

"Welcome to Ascendant everyone!"

Before us stands a beautiful city tucked into the mountains. The city is covered in white marble and emerald green, Montfort's colors. Davidson begins walking down a wide cobblestone path that leads into the trees and we all follow behind him. When the trees start to disperse, we start to see the huge house that stands before us. It's not as big as Whitefire, but then again, it's not a palace. It sits on the edge of the cliff with balconies jutting out over the edges. I'd guess that you could see the whole country from them. We walk through the massive pillars and up to the large oak doors. As Davidson is reaching for them, the doors spring open and someone jumps out and throws their arms around him. When they release, they turn to face us and Davidson introduces us.

"Everyone this is Carmadon. My husband," he says smiling at the man next to him.

"Welcome everyone to Montfort!" Carmadon says smiling at us. "Come inside! We'll show you to your rooms."

Mare and her family follow Carmadon inside with Farley on their heels. I hang back and walk with Davidson.

"Not what you were expecting?" Davidson says without looking over at me.

"I never knew you allowed that here," I say back, surprise evident in my voice.

Davidson chuckles. "Everyone's welcome here Tiberias. There are too many places in our world where certain people aren't."

With that, Davidson disappears inside his home and I'm left with a maid who shows me to my room. As we're walking, I notice the flush on her cheeks, hinting that the blood under her skin is red. I wonder if Farley is going to have to have a word with Davidson about his red servants.

We reach my room and I head inside. It's decently sized and well decorated. I immediately head into the bathroom to take a shower and clear my head.

When I get out, it's almost midnight so I throw on a pair of sweats and go to get in bed when there's a knock on my door. I sigh and go to open it to find Mare standing on the other side.

"Mare . . .?" I practically whisper.

I notice her eyes on my chest and realize that I never put on a shirt. She quickly recovers and focusses on the room behind me instead. Her voice sounds small and scared when she finally meets my eyes to speak to me.

"We need to talk."

Wow, this chapter actually ended up having over 1,000 words!!! Yayy!!