Chapter 14

She stood there for a moment, still smiling long after Daniel had left. She shook her head, as she remembered why she was there. Turning back towards the blacksmith, she strode swiftly through the crowded street towards it.

As she opened the door, it knocked into a bell alerting the owner when he had a new customer. She walked through the doorway, and looked around. "I'll be there shortly!" a man's voice called from the back of the store. Andrea continued to gaze at the items around her. She saw so many weapons that she had never known existed, although there were lots that she remembered her father telling her about; Spears, swords, daggers, bows and arrows. "Hello, don't believe I've even seen a girl in here before. I'm Tourquin, and you are?"

"Andrea, it's a pleasure." she said in response, "I need some weapons for my training. I've just graduated to a higher level."

Tourquin looked her up and down before continuing, "Very funny kid. I don't just hand weapons out to random people you know." Andrea scoffed, unhappy he didn't believe that she trained simply because she was a girl. After he got a hefty earful he finally gave in, "Okay, but you seem a little young for weapons. When is it you started your training?" 

"Just over nine years ago." she replied.

The man nodded, and showed her to a separate part of the store. "These are the beginning weapons. Anything that you choose is free. To a limit of course." he stated, gesturing to large shelves that had all kinds of weaponry spread across them.

"May I ask what kind of weapons I should get for my first day of training at a novice level?" she asked, looking into the mans blue eyes.

The man smiled and returned, "Ah, teacher not tell you? First off, daggers are most important; Then a sword, and after that a bow. The other weapons are unnecessary for training, but some find them easier to fight with. 

Andrea thanked the man and he helped her find some items that were small enough to fit her. As she picked up her first set of daggers, she reverse gripped them, and made slow motions in the air. Not quite satisfied, she chose another pair and found them lighter, with a better grip.

Tourquin raised an eyebrow, questioning if they were the right ones for her. She nodded back and he left to find sheaths for them. As he slid them into their leather cases, he laced the strap through Andrea's training gear. The daggers sat on her hips, one on each side. When she let her hands fall to her sides, her palms landed directly onto the handle of each knife.

"Very good fit. Your hands should always be resting, or at least near the hilt of a weapon at all times; You never know when you'll need one." the man commented. He then led her to the swords. "Since you have side resting daggers, you will need to have your swords strapped to your back. Wouldn't want to pull out the wrong weapon by mistake." he ushered, moving towards a row of swords that were crossed, one on top of the other.

She picked up a pair that she liked, and pulled them from their case; they were quite heavy. "Can I have some more space please signore?" she asked, and Tourquin backed away, allowing her to swing them in a motion she felt was correct. She liked how they cut through the air, so she selected them.

As the man showed her how to strap them to her back, he noticed that the sheath was too big, making the swords hang too low. "One second." he said as he strode to another part of the store. You wouldn't think this building would be so large.

Tourquin returned, and told her to try the new strap he held in his hands. When it was on, the man turned Andrea's shoulders so she was facing him. Looking to where the swords stuck out at the top, he asked her to try and grab them. She reached above her shoulders and grabbed the hilts. Finding it hard to unsheathe them, he made a few adjustments and made her try again. She did as she was told, and they glided perfectly into her hands. "What do you think?" he asked. 

"They're quite comfortable." she replied. Tourquin smiled, and showed her to another room, pointing to a group of bows and arrows. Explaining all students get fifteen arrows, and a quiver. She grabbed the nearest one, and adjusted the strap. 

"Finding a bow that suits you is harder than a sword or dagger. First, make sure you can grip it well, then make sure the strings tightness is to your liking," he told her as she was looking at one of them. "But since this is your first bow, it really doesn't matter yet since you aren't accustomed to a certain slack quite yet. Just grab one that has a nice grip."

She went down the row, and found one that was perfect. "Is there anything else I will need?" she questioned. The man shook his head, thinking hat a spear wasn't needed. "Grazie signore. I wouldn't have been able to acquire the correct weapons that I needed if it weren't for you."

"It was no trouble. Your father was a great friend of mine, so if you need anything at all, I'd be please to help as best I can." he responded.

Andrea smiled; glad her father had such kind friends. "It was great meeting you Tourquin, but I must be going. Do take care." she stated, starting towards the door.

"You as well. Especially since you have Helstan as a trainer." he replied.

How did he know that?