Chapter 8

"Hey, wait up!" a voice called from behind Andrea as she was walking home from school. She turned around, and met eyes with a boy she didn't recognize. He caught up with her and held his hand out for her to shake. "Hi, I'm Daniel." he introduced. "I just moved here a couple days ago, and I don't think we've met."

He realized from the odd stare Andrea was giving him that she wasn't going to shake his hand, so he played it off by combing it through his short blonde hair.

She didn't mean to come across as rude, but she was unable to respond. She was lost in his eyes.

They were a common brown, but one had a pattern in it. Almost like a scar.

Daniel shifted, becoming uncomfortable under her gaze. "Um...Do you talk much?"

She shook her thoughts away from his eyes and managed to shove out a few words, "Yes I do not. I mean do! Sorry." She cringed at her response, vowing to never sound as incompetent as she did just then.

He smiled anyways, giving a small chuckle that calmed her nerves. She didn't know why, but the laugh washed over her and made her feel safer than ever before. He had the same effect over her as her own father did.

"Hey, if it's not too much to ask, why do you leave right after school?" Daniel asked. "Wait, let me guess, strict parents? They don't want you hanging with people they don't know?"

Andrea was silent for a moment, taken back by Daniel's strange language.

Hanging?

Maybe it's just how older kids talk.

Although, he couldn't have been much older than her.

She realized a second too late that she was expected to respond. "No, it is just that my father trains me, and if I am late for a lesson I have to do push-ups."

"You train already? Aren't you only five or six?"

"I am eight, and have been training since I was five."

"Five? Wow, I haven't even started training yet. My mom told me I'll start when I'm finished school, but five? That's crazy!"

Andrea felt a little uneasy. Was it crazy?

Daniel noticed that Andrea was looking at the ground, so he said, "Super cool though, I mean, I wish I could've started training then." He rubbed the back of his neck.

Andrea looked back into his eyes, and a shadow of a smile danced across her features. "Thank you."

The two stood there, staring at each other, smiling.

"I had better get going." she said, motioning towards her home.

"Oh, yeah." he chuckled. "I'll see you tomorrow, I guess." He winked at her, and then walked away.

Andrea turned on her heel and ran home. She knew she had just enough time to make it home for the start of her lesson.

She stepped into the backyard, glad to see her father was in his regular spot, staring out into space.

She always wondered what he thought about, and what he did when she was away at school.

She tried to sneak up behind him, and of course, he noticed her. "Andrea, my child, you must realize that just because you are silent does not mean I do not know you are there." He chuckled, turning towards her. "So, what has you in such high spirits?"

"Classes were quite easy today, and I even made a new friend." She smiled as she pictured Daniel's enrapturing eyes.

Aldo smirked as he stood up. "Good, no training for today. Go and play with your new friend."

Andrea's eyes widened. No training?

"I have no clue where he lives though, Papa. He just moved to town."

"Well, there is a new family who moved in from Qilmol not long ago. I believe they moved into the three-story building just down the street from the ice cream shop. Go see if that is where he lives. If not, you can at least welcome that family to town as well."

Andrea thanked him, and hugged him as she headed towards the door.

"Be home before dusk." She nodded and left.

As she approached the house, she took note of the symbol painted above the door. She couldn't see what it was at first, but as she drew closer she noticed that it was a symbol of honor. She was very surprised, since she had only ever seen this in one other place. The Nobles' Temple.

She walked up to the door, and knocked. An elegant woman answered the door after a few seconds. "Hello. May I help you, darling?"

"Ciao. È house di questo Daniel?"

"I'm sorry, I only speak English."

"Oh, my apologies. I was wondering if Daniel lived here." Andrea repeated, switching to English with ease.

"Oh yes, I'll go get him." She walked down the carpeted hall and entered into a room on the left. Andrea waited in the front entrance, examining the building. The ceilings were low, and had words from a foreign tongue engraved into them. Andrea was about to see if the walls were real marble when the woman returned. Trailing behind her was Daniel.

"Oh, Andrea right?" he asked.

"Yes. My father wanted me to come by and welcome you and your family to town. I was also wondering if you wanted to get some ice cream with me." She grinned.

Daniel opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by his mother. "Tell your father thanks, and I'm sure Daniel would love to go, but he is quite busy at the moment."

He scratched the back of his head. "No, it's fine. I'm sure I can just finish that up tomorrow."

"Daniel, I said no." his mother snapped. She took a deep breath. "I don't think procrastination is a good idea."

Andrea saw the tension beginning to build in the room. "Maybe another time then." Andrea said, desperate to get out of the awkward situation.

Daniel's mother smiled, and was obviously relieved as Andrea began to leave.

She walked home at a slow pace, trying to comprehend what had happened. Who speaks to their parents like that?