Chapter 5

• Gewidmet Kasha

I waited for my uncle to come tell his usual lie and say goodbye before i locked my door and texted Dwayne. I was ready. I removed my suitcase from my wardrobe where it had been hiding since i packed earlier this afternoon. I had been trying to perfect my plans out of mere boredom and fear when it occured to me that unlike every normal teenager out there int he world, no one had bothered to call to ask why i was absent from school. Even the nerds have best friends who truly cared and all i had were people who were bent on just taking all i had left; everything, including my life. They couldn't even spare me that. I couldn't be more miserable and i had been left with no other choice than to turn to the last person in this world who would have crossed my minds on normal circumstances; Dwayne. As i said earlier, he was a bit mysterious unlike moi. Everybody knew virtually everything about me, like i was stinkingly rich and gorgeous, not like i'm flattering myself but that was a fact. Everyone also knew the unfortunate occurences that happened at the earliest stage of my life and blah, blah blah. What they didn't know was that i was about to leave, i was determined to keep that as a secret till i left. I put on my denim jacket and after brushing my hair sat at my dressing table. I looked at the mirror hoping that was not the last time i would stare into it at myself. This status quo i had found myself in would sort itself out somehow i hoped and then my life would be as it was supposed to be right from the beginning. I reached out for my wipe and swiped away tears that were forming in my eyes already. I had to be strong, to see this whole thing through. I just wished i had a shoulder to lean on. I looked at the portrait of my mum and dad which was on the table and I felt a whole new sadness settling in me. I might look tough and really confident on the outside but deep within me, i knew i was opposite. I stood up and looked at my wristwatch. The time was a quarter to nine. I had to move fast.

I walked out of my room and slowly moved towards my gran's. I heard her snore. She was usually an early sleeper and i was glad she would not serve as an obstacle. I moved to my uncle's room; no sound. He was probably asleep too. I checked the office. The lights were off and there was no sound from it. Then i moved around, no one was in sight, not Maria and not anybody. I then went back to my room, gave a last look round then taking my purse, i quietly carried my suitcase. It was quite heavy since i made sure i took enough to last me for more than two weeks. It was a slow process but i was relieved when i made it out of the front door ten minutes later. The time was now a few minutes past nine. I dialled Dwayne. He was outside the gate already. I headed for the gate and met Gerald the security guy. I was somehow able to slid past him by saying i was going for a sleepover at a friend's and uncle had given his permission. My mission was now half accomplished. All i had to do now was get out of Omaha.

Getting out of the house, i saw a nice black car parked by the side of the road and no sign of Dwayne. I just hoped nothing would go wrong. I looked down both sides of the road and was almost irritated at its emptiness and silence then i recieved a text. I read; "Look right in front of you." It was Dwayne and he was int he car, no kidding! I didn't think he'd be the owner of such a ride. Maybe that was partially he just didn't look that rich and he was so annoying, i could not wish him such a car. I walked towards the car with my suitcase and then he came out from the backseat looking all gaily and smug.

"Hey," He said

And i was about to totally snob him and just head for the boot which had just open when i remembered i had to be nice to him or he'd give me in. I replied him and i lifted my suitcase with his help into the trunk then got in the backseat with him.

"So, how come you're not behind the wheel?" I asked noticing someone else was driving. The car engine spurred to life and the car began to move.

"Mum suspected i'd never come back and took my wheels from me. She knows how much i love it." He replied.