Chapter 4

"Hey dad!" I had to call him that so that he would not suspect anything.

"How are you doing my angel?" He had that fake grin that had decieved me since i was six.

"I'm great." I replied him with that fake smile as well. I had to behave the least suspicious.

"And why are you not getting prepared for school today,its already 8:30 and you have your first class by 9:00. Is anything the matter with you?" I just wished I could believe that he really cared. I could almost punch his face.

"Um...yeah! Actually dad, I've been feeling groggy all morning, I think I might be down with a little fever and I don't think I want to go to school today,my body chemistry just doesn't go with it. I'd prefer to stay in at home today and prepare for a competition I have on Friday." I had to give it to me, I'm a good liar.

"Isn't it the science competition?"He asked and i realised i had stupidly just blown my own cover. "Your teacher called in and said that you will not be representing your school,she said you had somewhere to be at."

Mrs Phelps just had to call. Grrr....I had to to make another thing up.

"Me...No! Definitely not, I'd be right there,she must have heard me wrongly, I wouldn't miss it for the world. You know how much i love Chemistry, dad."

"That's weird, cause, she insisted that was what you said. Anyway, if its because of a boy you're going through this dilemma, let me know. I'll let you go to a date, you're going to be 16. I told some lies when I was young to secure a date and I don't want you to lie to me you know." Aw...so touching. The last thing i heard on my to-do list was boys.

"Thanks Dad, I'll let you know. " I said.

"Good, and remember, I love you." The urge to punch his face became harder to fight. He was an annoying pathetic liar. Well, contrary to the anger and disgust i felt towards him, a wide grin formed on my face as he closed the door and walk out. Back to the dilemma i was presently facing, the picture of a stubby looking grim-faced fellow popped into my mental view.

This Matt guy must be a ghost, he's not even on the FBI's radar,meaning the police cannot catch him yet..at least until they have more information and that might take time to get. I'll probably be dead by then.

************************

I had breakfast with grandma and uncle amidst fears that my meal was poisoned. I got over it when thirty minutes later, on my computer, i was not vomitting and all sorts. My uncle had through the meal put on his normal facial expression which was definitely fake while my grandma had her grim and unfriendly facade. At least, she wasn't pretending!

"So, Joan, why don't you go see the doctor? You know, to do a little checkup, see what is wrong with you?" She asked. I took my time to answer pretending to have food in my mind while i formulated different replies to her question.

"Er...I'll just do some self-medication. It's nothing serious, this isn't the first time."

When there was no reply i look up and gran's face. It was quizzical.

"Self medication is dangerous, Joan." She said.

Yeah, right. Like she even cared!

"I know, gran, but this isn't the first time i'm feeling this way and the doctor always administers the same drug each, so it's indirectly being prescribed this time." I defended. The only reason she was being concerned was 'cause she didn't want all the money to go to charity. I was glad she shut up right after that and i immediately extricated myself once i was done eating from the dining room and to the comfort of my room.