Chapter 9

At the point when Dwayne dropped the call, a sudden fear from the Devil gripped Him and suddenly a voice spoke to Him in His heart that was so clear, it said " The Lord will fight for you and you need only to be still"

He remembered that this was the same thing that was said to His mother in her dream after the burial of His brother.

  "That was what mum told me she was told by a man in her dream five years ago! What could it mean? "

Now, Dwayne wasn't really a christian boy, his family had deviated from their Faith due to the circumstances that befell them in the past, they thought that God had left them and so decided to leave Him too but,what was about to follow left dwayne bunkers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joan was walking about her room at about the same time Dwayne woke up. She had woken up some minutes earlier though because she couldn't sleep much. She was a burdened soul, she was thinking about  her family and herself. It was Friday, a day She was supposed to be happy about; her birthday which her uncle had determined to be her death day and although She had run to Denver to avert that, she still had a cloud of doubt in her head, nevertheless she believed she was going to live in her heart.

"Am I going to die today? God I know you're up there somewhere, please let me know because I'm tired of fighting already"

She was Silent for sometime after she said this and heard a knock on her door and it  heaped fear on her inside until a familiar voice spoke " its me Joan, Bethany".

She was greatly relieved "whooo!", breathed out heavily and went to open the door.

Bethany was dressed in simple clothes and had a pair of white slippers on. " I came to bother you a little Joan because I've heard a lot from mum"

Joan thought Bethany had heard about the kill threats from Mr. Matt Derriman and the talk of Him  since yesterday always brought a quick shiver to her members and the thought she had made of him when she spoke made it worse!

"I hear you're gonna be Sixteen today! Bethany said with great exuberance". Joan was less concerned of that at that point but was greatly relieved that it wasn't about Derriman. she just faked a smile and answered.

" Yes, Bethy, I'm supposed to be Sixteen today and I'm really happy"

But you don't look so happy because I see you faked your smile. Is anything the matter with you?

"How on earth did she know that I faked that smile I thought to myself before her continuous gazing at me for an answer brought me out of my thoughts"

I didn't know what to say to cover anything because if anyone could know I faked a smile, she'd sure be a Lie detector! So I answered truthfully this time

"  Its not as it seems bethy. I'm not happy at all because there's a lot of weight on me."

What weight is that? She asked with great seriousness shown across her face.

I got up from my bed and held her shoulders as I shivered greatly and couldn't stand nor seat, I had to lean..." I and your mum might die today".

Ooh ok, I think I know that. I've known that for a long time now, precisely the day you told my mum about the Matt Derriman guy.

"I was deeply exasperated, everyone seemed at peace except me." And it doesn't seem to bother you one bit eh ?"

No Joan, I know that my bible says in Exodus 14:14 that "The Lord will fight for me and I need only to be still". If He will fight for my family then you're included in that promise. He's gonna protect you too.

Don't lose sleep over a threat Joan, my mum is sound asleep now and is neither worried nor scared. She trusts God to save Her from everything and circumstance.

I had only gotten to know God a few days and didn't know that much about Him but at that point, I managed to get down back on my bed and after all I'd heard from Bethy, I had some comfort but not total comfort though. I didn't have such faith in God yet not to worry! But as if she could also see that in my eyes she held my left  hand and looked me in the eye, she just said three words

"Be at rest." And she went out of my room and her smile added a chunk to that comfort I had gotten earlier.

I had gotten Peace finally. I told everyone now, even those directly involved but they all seemed to be at Peace, I had no other option. I had to go with the Peace flow.

-----------------------------------------------------------

James Briggs was up awake all night, he couldn't sleep either although the Snoring of his mother  added to keeping Him awake. She had slept in his room because they talked late and she was tired.

He got into a sitting position and called to her

 "Ma!"

She was a bit sensitive to sounds and woke up immediately, her face all wrinkled up! It was about 5:40am now and the dawn was breaking fast.

"What is the matter James! I said it was all taken care of so why wouldn't you let me sleep."

The lawyer would be here in 3 hours and we don't have the girl at hand! Why shouldn't I be worried. That Matt Derriman guy seems not to be capable anymore but...(His phone rang)

He looked at the caller and it was Matt. His mum saw the caller too and grabbed the phone from Him to answer the call.

"Hello my boy. What do you have for us? She asked as a  grotesque smile filled her countenance.

" Nothing much Ma, just a strong lead on a woman that could help us get to her today."

What woman! We don't have much time so get to the woman immediately and get all you can from her and kill her after. We don't need litters on the floor for the authorities to pick up.

"Yes Ma." And she dropped the call on Him.