Chapter Six

Joe awoke early the next morning, disturbed from his sleep by the fact that he was alone in his bed. Confused, he checked his phone.

It was just past 6 in the morning.

Pulling on some shorts and a t-shirt, Joe padded quietly down the stairs to find his girlfriend.

Emelia's bedroom door was half-open. Peering in, Joe smiled softly at the sight before him.

Dianne was curled up in her daughter's bed, clearly fast asleep and breathing softly.

"Joe?" Joe hadn't noticed that Emelia wasn't in bed, until she called his name in a soft whisper.

"Hey! How long have you been awake?"

Emelia shrugged. "I can't tell the time."

Joe smiled. "Neither can your mummy." He walked over to see what Emelia was playing with. She had her London sticker book out in front of her and was looking through all the pages.

"Do you want to come and watch TV or something? We can leave your mummy to sleep for a bit." Emelia nodded and picked up her book, carrying it with her into the living room.

Joe turned on the lights and found the control for the TV. Scrolling through until he found the Kids section on Netflix, he showed Emelia how to search through the programmes and pick what she wanted to watch. He passed her a fluffy blanket from the side and watched as she scrolled through, using his fancy remote control with ease. Joe smiled- he would have to remind Dianne later that her six-year-old understood how it worked better than she did.

"Would you like a drink? Or something to eat?" He asked quietly. Emelia paused for a moment.

Joe continued. "I've got water, milk, apple juice..."

"Some milk, please."

Joe watched Emelia as he stood in the kitchen. She looked absolutely miniscule on his enormous corner couch, especially since she had covered herself in a huge fluffy blanket.

He poured some milk into one of the plastic cups he had bought specially for her and poured himself a glass as well. Picking a plate out of the cupboard, he peeled a banana and cut it into chunks, added some blueberries and some grapes.

"Here you go." Joe had walked back with the plate and cups of milk. He had laid a tea towel over his arm like a waiter and spoke with a posh British accent.

"Your milk, m'lady. And an assortment of fruits for your delectation." He bowed as he walked away. Emelia giggled.

"You're so silly!"

Joe stuck his tongue out and smiled. "I know. But it's funny, right?"

Emelia nodded and took a sip from her cup.

///

Emelia sat, absorbed by the cartoon she had picked, as Joe cleared up their cups and plate and cleaned around the kitchen.

It was now closer to nine and Dianne still wasn't awake. He had no idea what time she had moved into Emelia's bed, or why, but he knew she would need to wake up soon. If he let her sleep in, the jet lag would only get worse tomorrow.

"Hey, I've got an idea" Joe said to Emelia, pulling her attention away from the screen. "Shall we make your mummy some breakfast in bed?"

Emelia nodded and pulled herself off the couch.

"What do you think she would like to eat?"

"Well, she likes fruit. And yoghurt. And toast."

Joe nodded. "She does. But what do you think is her favourite breakfast?"

Emelia smiled, looking up at Joe. "Pancakes!"

Joe smiled. "Hey google. How do you make American pancakes?"

Joe went through the cupboards as he listened to the recipe, thankful that he had everything they would need.

He measured out the ingredients into small bowls and watched as Emelia mixed them together.

"Wow, you're strong!" He said as she stirred the mixture with a wooden spoon. Emelia grinned at him.

As the pancakes cooked, Joe and Emelia searched the cupboards together to find things to go on them. They settled on bananas and almond butter- two of her favourites.

"OK, I think we're ready to flip. Do you want to help?" Joe held Emelia up so that she could reach properly to flip the pancakes.

"Wow, you're like a chef!" he said as the first one landed back in the pan. Joe tried to flip another, and it landed half-hanging on the edge.

He pushed it back in with his fingers. "Maybe we can share that one? We won't tell mummy" He smiled. Emelia nodded.

"She doesn't need to know what happened" she said seriously. Joe tried his best to keep his burst of laughter quiet so that he didn't wake Dianne. This kid was something else.

Once the pancakes were cooked and assembled, Joe let Emelia decorate them with the fruit and the almond butter.

"OK. I'll carry the tray because this coffee is hot. You open the door, ok?"

Emelia nodded and Joe followed carefully behind her as she made her way back to the bedroom.

Emelia climbed onto the bed and leaned close into Dianne.

"Are you going to kiss her awake?" Emelia looked up at Joe as she asked. He was definitely blushing. "Like a princess."

Joe smiled and placed the tray down carefully on the bedside table. With Emelia's eyes on him, he leaned into his girlfriend and kissed her gently on the forehead.

Emelia rolled her eyes. "It won't work unless you kiss her on the lips". She tapped her lips as if to show him what he had to do.

Joe nodded and leaned in, pecking Dianne's lips softly.

She began to stir.

"Again" Emelia whispered. "It's working!"

Joe leaned back in and softly touched his lips to Dianne's. She kept her eyes closed but kissed him back with more pressure.

Emelia clapped, which forced Dianne to open her eyes.

"Joe! Not in front of the..." Dianne said, her voice croaky from sleep. Joe laughed and pointed to Emelia.

"Don't tell me off; it was her idea!"

Dianne rolled over and tickled Emelia's side. "you're so cheeky, little missy!" She leaned down and kissed the little girl's belly as she giggled. "So". "Cheeky!"

Joe smiled at the two of them, trying to get Emelia's attention by pointing to the tray.

"Mama! Mama!" Dianne stopped tickling.

"What?"

"We made you breakfast."

Dianne looked over to Joe, who was now holding a tray containing a stack of pancakes and- thank everything that is holy- a steaming hot cup of coffee.

Dianne smiled. "Awwh, you two are amazing! Thank you!"