Chapter Three

"OK. I've put fresh sheets on the bed, I've ordered some cute little cushions to go with it, I've got some toys and stuff for her to play with while she's here... is there anything else I need?"

Joe was pacing around his office. Dianne and Emelia would be about to board their plane back to London, and it had suddenly dawned on him that he was effectively going to be a parent for the next week. Whenever he imagined having kids, it definitely wasn't in central London in a penthouse apartment which was entirely unsuitable for a child. There was so much to think about. Too much that could go wrong.

Still, he was really excited about the whole thing, especially because he knew how much Dianne needed this time with her little girl. He wanted to make it special.

"Joe, calm down. You'll be fine. I'm sure Dianne will pack everything she needs, and if there's anything else you've forgotten, just go out and get it."

Joe had called his mum to help him go through his 'Emelia list'. She was the best parent he knew (obviously) and the person he always turned to in a crisis. She had been really supportive about his relationship with Dianne and the fact that she had Emelia. She had been the one to encourage him to organize this trip in the first place.

"How are you getting them from the airport?"

Joe sat down at his desk. "I've got a car coming today, which we can use for the week. I mean, obviously we're coming down to see you guys and then we have it available if we want to travel anywhere else. Oh god!" He stopped. "Does she need a car seat? I'm going to have to look it up. I don't know how they work it all out these days."

His mum laughed. "Joe, calm down! Ask Dianne how much Emelia weighs and how tall she is. Then check the laws. I think she'll probably need a full car seat. From the pictures you've shown me, she's still quite little."

"OK. I'll have to order it and get it delivered or something. Can you imagine the press if they got word that I was buying a car seat for a baby? They've been having enough fun with the stuff we've basically given them. Absolutely no idea what's going on behind the scenes, but I want to keep it that way."

He was rambling again. "OK. So order the car seat" his mum said, trying to stop him from going into a full-blown panic. "And then leave everything else until they're with you. You've got a TV show to film tomorrow night, don't forget. Maybe focus on that for a bit?"

"Mhmm." Joe didn't want to agree to that. He knew that he had other things to be getting on with, but this whole process was taking priority.

His phone buzzed against his ear, indicating he had another call coming in. "Mum, Dianne's trying to ring me. I'll speak to you later. Love you, thank you!"

He swiped to answer his girlfriend's call. "Hey! Are you at the airport?"

"Yeah. We're checked in and just waiting for the gate to open. Is everything OK your end?" Dianne could sense that Joe was unsettled about something.

"Well, you know me. I'm going overboard trying to get everything organised."

"Joe, I told you. We'll be fine. We're Australian- laid back and cool."

Joe laughed. 

"Says the biggest stress-head I've ever met. Oh!" He ran his finger back down his list. "I did want to ask something, actually, before you go. First, can you let me know what type of car seat Emelia needs. And, second, is there anything Emelia will want to eat? I need to do a quick food shop tonight. And is there any toiletries or anything she will need?"

Dianne smiled. She loved how much he cared. She sat and smiled as she watched Emelia, who was focusing really hard on the colouring Dianne had given her to do while they waited.

"OK. She'll definitely need a full car seat. She's too small for a booster seat or anything. And, food-wise, she eats like me. She'll need snacks, definitely. She's a bottomless pit. Fruit, raisins, breadsticks, that kind of thing. She's had enough treats this week to last her until she's at least twelve, so not too much sugar. And she drinks water mainly. It might be a good idea to get her a plastic cup or bottle for that- she left hers behind and we haven't managed find one in the airport. She won't be able to fit her hands around those glasses you use and I'd worry about her dropping them."

Joe scribbled notes as she talked.

"Just use your common sense. She's not fussy at all. Mum makes sure she eats a pretty good diet."

"What about bath stuff? Does she need shampoo or anything?"

"I've still got some in your shower, which she should be fine with. But if there's anything you think she'd like, just get it. She'll love the bath bombs that you have in there!"

Joe smiled and made a note to make sure that he laid out some fun ones for Emelia to choose from.

"Joe, we've got to go. Our gate has just been called. Come on, peanut. Pack up your things." Dianne threw her own bag on her shoulder and reached for Emelia's hand.

"OK. See you in a few hours!"

"See you tomorrow. Have a safe flight- I love you."

"I love you too. See you tomorrow."