Wedding day | January 1936

I was nervous, but just because I was scared she wouldn't turn up. I had absolutely no problem announcing my undying devotion to Lilith in front of lots of people.

My parents didn't come, obviously. So, instead, Mrs J from school came. She has never given me anything but support, even since leaving school, so it was only right that she'd be there.

Edward and Tallulah got married a few years back and already had 2 kids. 1 was born just before they got married, they came. So did Edwards parents, Lilith's parents, her grandparents. It was the only people I needed, so I couldn't complain really.

We got married in the same church her parents did, at Cherry Tree Lane Church in the village. Its a gorgeous church. Really set the tone.

She looked so beautiful. She smiled at me and she already had tears in her eyes. Her father walked her down the aisle and they parted as they got to me, he shook my hand and said,

"You know what to do, boy. Look after her, don't break her heart."

I promised.

We said our vows and gave each other the rings and we went straight down the pub from there, with all our family and friends and got gloriously drunk, dancing to Glenn Miller and Vera Lynn. Lilith never gets drunk, but her father was more drunk than anyone and didn't notice how completely off her face she was!

"I love you, you handsome devil!"

"I love you too, Mrs Brown!"

"Didn't even think about that! Oh gosh, what have I gotten myself into, ay!" She teased.

She was being so flirty, too. I loved every minute of it!

Then it got ruined. There was an announcement over the radio. It felt like everyone just went silent, as if we were all already mourning for what was about to come.

There was a new party in Germany, run by an Austrian named Adolf Hitler. Heard he's a right vicious twat. They were called the Nazis and they were giving it big-mouth threatening pretty much every nation, every minority, every bleeding Tom, Dick and Harry from the sounds of it.

The British army was recruiting, and it is 'essential' for every geezer between the ages of 19 and 40 go for a fitness assessment to see if they would be any good. Heard so many stories about the last great war, I don't think it's ever going to be something I want anything to do with, given the choice. Although doesn't sound like I have much of a choice, all I can tell you is I'm not ready to die, my life is finally starting.

Everyone tried to carry on with their night, drinking more and more pretending they never heard a thing. We all said our goodbyes and we got a few last congratulations, and that was that.

Me and Lilith walked home, well, I carried her home as she was fast asleep at the pub. I put her nightie on her and put her to bed, I leant down to kiss her, and she whispered,

"Do you think it will happen again, surely it can't? Haven't we learnt anything?"

"I don't know, sweetheart. Hush now, try not to worry, we just got married!"

I still had a great feeling of dread, and fear in my gut. I was terrified. I had to be brave, though. Can't worry her too much.

"Please, if it does. Don't go. Please don't leave me."

"I won't. Goodnight beautiful. I love you."