5. Every Kiss Begins with Kate

[Vote and Comment if you just really want to know what went down that freakin Halloween night already.]

Chapter Five – Every Kiss Begins with Kate

Brown Eyes – Destiny's Child

"How's Kate?"

"Kate?"

He took a moment, "The baby." He said with a tone so sardonic it was as if we had previously agreed on the name and I had a lapse in memory.

I rolled my eyes, "Stationary." There was a pause. "It means still, Ethan."

"I knew that, Smarty-guy pants," he chided, "I was just trying to picture her sitting."

I sighed heavily, "When are you going to grow a brain?"

"When we visit Oz so I can formally request one."

I scoffed lightly with a slight chuckle, shaking my head slightly, "You're really a deck of cards."

"How so?"

"Because you never know what you're gonna get with you."

He snickered into the receiver, "I'm an Ethan-igma."

I rolled my eyes, picking up the book I that sat on my bed and scanned its cover.

It was a painting of a woman with crystal blue eyes, a dress as white as snow and pale skin to match.

The title 'FRIENDLY ENCOUNTERS'.

I stole it from mom's collection of books on her shelf in the study when she was yelling at me for something that I can't remember. I knew her Well enough to know that I wouldn't win an argument with her so I did the next best thing. I moved something out of its normal position. That will drive her straight to the nearest nut house.

"Hey, you still there?"

"...Yeah, I was just reading a book."

He scoffed, "Well, sorry if I'm boring you!" he blared.

"Keep your voice down!" I whisper-yelled. "We're not supposed to be speaking, remember?" I looked towards the door and waited to see if anyone would barge in and once neither mom nor dad did, I eased and returned my attention back to the phone.

"Sorry."

I sighed, "It's okay, dude."

There was a pause. "Hey, have you thought about the Halloween thing since your mom poured that icy water on us last night?"

I shivered, "Don't remind me of that, please." I cringed, "And it's been at the back of my mind, I guess." I paused this time. "Why?"

"I think you should talk about it, come over?"

I huffed, "I can't, remember? My parents basically have me in chains."

"Lie."

"They aren't gullible, Ethan."

"Please," he scoffed, "I've seen you lie to cops to get us out of situations."

I bit my lip. "Fine." I said but it didn't come without the feeling of immediate regret.

"Great, see you in thirty."

"E?" I said hastily before he had the chance to hang up. He didn't answer back but I knew he was listening, "Why are you so antsy to talk about last Halloween?"