cherries and wine

N'Jadaka takes your confession about as well as you assumed, in that he immediately catches an attitude wondering why you didn't tell him sooner. That he doesn't appreciate you and T'Challa keeping secrets with each other behind his back.

To your defense, you kind of went through a lot in between then and now, and it's not like you're happy about this either. The idea of meeting T'Challa's mother, N'Jadaka's auntie, has you scared to no end and if this meeting doesn't happen in California you don't know what you're going to do. Sure, you want to see Wakanda, but you don't think you can handle it so soon.

But why would she come all this way, for the sake of you?

God, you wonder if Meghan Markle felt this confused.

In front of you, N'Jadaka stops his pacing and turns to you with another flare of his nostrils.

"Don't keep shit from me," he goes, still breathing hard from a few minutes ago.

"Okay," is your simple reply, wondering if he can practice what he preaches.

"And you ain't meetin' nobody without me present."

"Okay."

"And keep ya black ass in the house from now on, that's it."

"Nah."

He raises his eyebrows at your denial, scoffing like you disobeyed a direct order but he needs to know he isn't your daddy and can't make you do shit. He can ask, politely inquire, but he can't tell you do no anything unless his dick is out. Period.

You feel his eyes follow you around the living room as you remove your beanie from your hat-hair and let out the long pent up sigh that's been clinging to you for hours.

"What you mean, 'nah'?"

"It means whatever the hell you want it to mean," you mumble, filling a glass with cold water. You're starting to feel faint again, and it doesn't help that you've barely eaten today. It's so easy to forget to take care of yourself, you think you need reminders.

N'Jadaka is still staring at you dumbfounded when you turn back toward him having drained two full glasses by the time you speak again. "I'm hungry, let's go."

He only narrows his eyes at you. "Wh-"

"I'm HUNgry, let's GO," you shout, grabbing your keys. "I know you know some bougie restaurants around here, just...distract me for a few hours."

You feel close to a freak out again, hands trembling with each shaky word that exits your mouth. Suddenly the walls of your apartment seem impossibly small and you just want out. You don't want to necessarily go to N'Jadaka's place, but you don't have to come back home for work tomorrow because you could always go back to the office for a few days.

The groceries that N'Jadaka bought you will be fine if you leave your place for a few, so you pay them no mind as you try and throw together an overnight bag. It's dead silent in the apartment as you take an oversized tote and start tossing in panties and sweatpants and tshirts and work clothes. It fills up quickly and you have to find your Jansport backpack to scoop toiletries into. All of your oils and vitamins and hair stuff, because you haven't been feeling like touching any of your long wigs lately.

N'Jadaka is silent the entire time, watching you as he always does with this small inquisitive look on his face like he's trying to figure you out. He gives you that look a lot so you've gotten used to it, so you pay him no mind as you haul your crap toward the front door. For a split second he keeps staring at you before 'hm'-ing to himself and sauntering past you.