Eighteen - Moony's Sixteenth Birthday

March 10th, 1976, 7:45 PM

Pandora's POV

My hurried steps sound through the Gryffindor Tower, with Evelyn quickly climbing the staircase behind me. Grasped in my hand was a crimson giftbag with gold paper streaming out of it. Today was Remus' birthday, and I wanted to make sure it was his best one yet. The cold wind drafted through the tower, making my bare neck shiver. I didn't put my hair up often, but hey, today was a special occasion. Evelyn looked stunning, as per usual. Her long locks were braided away from her perfectly clear face, and she wore a black skirt with a thick blue sweater.

Once the Fat Lady let us through with a grin, I saw Remus sitting on the red armchair, facing away from me, "HAAAAAPPPPYY BIRTHDAY!! My favorite SMARTASS!!" This made him choke on his mug of whatever and I hugged him from the behind, giving him a maternal slobbery kiss on his head of hair. Sirius strutted in with James, and each of them also received gross kisses from me. Peter turned as red as a tomato, and I greeted Lily nicely without any disgusting kisses, and soon enough we all brought in cake and cookies for Moony's celebration.

Occasionally I caught Remus' eye, and it felt awkward, so I would look away. What is going on with me? I've known Remus since I was eleven, why do I feel so tense and uncomfortable around him? I just found myself edging closer to Eve and joking more with James. At this point he tried his daily question. "Oi, Lils," She looked at him and groaned in reply, "Go out with me. Please?"

"He begs her! Ha!" Sirius interjects.

"Shut up, Sirius," I shake my head and give him a glare. James was trying to be nice.

"Please, Lily. You won't regret it." James pleads.

I shake my head, "Wait a second. Eve, Lily, let's go upstairs." Sirius and Peter laugh, and I give them a disgusted face with slitted eyes. Once we sit on her bed, I give her my opinion, "Lily, he seems genuine. He's begging you, maybe just give him a chance?"

Eve nods, "Yeah, Lil, why don't you?"

She snorts, "You're seriously saying this? Who are you two and what have you done with Pandora and Eve?" she shakes her head, "You know what, fine. But if I hate the date I will NOT go on another." We clambered back down the staircase. I folded my arms and stood in front of all of them. James glasses were foggy and his cheeks were flushed.

"Lily has decided." I declare, sitting down and earning many snickers.

She runs a hand through her auburn hair, "Alright. We'll go on a date. Hogsmeade, 6:00 PM at Madame Rosmerta's. If you're late, don't think for a second that I'll wait." Her words sounded like articulate phrase-daggers, if that was even a thing.

"O-okay. I won't be late." James stutters, and Sirius kicks his feet up on the table.

"I'm gonna need a lot of champagne to forget this weird conversation." I state, and there's a moment of silence, but then laughter billows through the room. And so the champagne was brought out. Many drinks were forced on Remus, and he seemed a bit hazy.

"I need some f-fresh air," he got up, and wobbled for a second, making his way to the balcony.

Sighing, I stated, "I'll go make sure he doesn't fall off the balcony." Lily and Peter's eyes follow me out of the room. I shuffled to the door, and left the curtains closed around the windows. "You all right?" I ask, putting a hand on Remus' shoulder. His hair looked disheveled and his eyes sparkled in the darkness.

He looks away from me, "You know, I have hated that moon for years and years," he stares into the sky at the crescent shape, "I have hated myself, and without you and the others, I would probably wouldn't be here. I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

I feel horrible, "Remus, don't say that. I never want you to think like that."

"Heh, guess I'm the sappy drunk," He says clearly, but his eyes are unable to focus on me. "I care about you a lot, Pandora, and I.."

He pauses, and I pipe up, "You what?"

"I just," he shakes his head, and turns to me, taking my face into his hands. I don't do anything, I feel paralyzed under his grasp as he bring his lips to mine, and I feel a warmth surge through me. I feel like my stomach is dropping, and thorns are poking it from the inside, roses are blooming and they reach their way to my face. We part, and Remus stutters, "I-I'm sorry."

"Don't be," I shake my head, "Why don't we go back inside, it's cold." All he does is nod, and somehow, I manage to keep myself together.

- -

i'm back beech