Thirteen - Let Them Eat Pranks

January 31st, 1976, 12:00 PM

Pandora's POV

The sun barely peeked through the clouds as I watched my reflection in the Black Lake. I looked eager; and I had a perfectly good reason to. Before I could complete my train of thought I hear footsteps crunching in the snow behind me. I turned and saw the Marauders, each of their faces red from the weather. I pulled down my beanie and tightened my blue and bronze scarf as I could literally feel my head separating itself from my body. "Good, you're all here."

"Tell me, why the hell we are in the freezing cold in the middle of the afternoon when we should be dueling in the Room of Requirement?" Sirius says.

I squint my eyes, "Oh stop whining, Snuffles." He frowned as if he ate something really sour, "Besides, we need to get back to our pranks. Have you all turned soft? We've done like what, one prank this year?"

James cleans his foggy glasses, "She's right. We have to step up our game. So what's the plan?"

"I need to think. What can we charm? We're all good at that," Remus pulls out a wrapper from his coat, and hands me a block of chocolate, "Thanks," I say, because he knows sweet things help me focus. He grins, and I grab a fallen stick from a tree near us. I squat down in the snow, my boots turning colder by the second.

I draw a map of the Great Hall, with each of the four tables for the houses and one for the High Table. "How about something with the food for breakfast?" Peter says.

"Brilliant, Peter," I say, making him turn redder than he already was, "Okay. Something about the food. What do we do about it?"

"We could make it so that no one can grab it, like it's a ghost or something," Remus suggests.

"Hmm," I wonder out loud, "What if when they tried to undo that hex, the food turns into an animal? Then we'd have them rampaging the corridors of the castle, like it's a farm!"

Sirius snorts, "Alright. But how will we bewitch the food?"

"Well, the elves sort it out. Kind of like the tongue tablets, one of us sneaks in, but at night, so they don't know we're there. I guess I'll have to make my own spell for it, yeah, I could do that."

"All right," James adds, "It's settled, then. I can take the invisibility cloak and you tell me the spell, and I'll go tonight so that it happens tomorrow morning... I'll grab us some food so we don't starve before we head down." I nod, standing up and brushing off the snow from my legs.

After several hours of researching books in the library, I finally figure an incantation out. I stare at the apple that I placed on the coffee table in front of the couch that appeared when I walked in.

"Pabulum iumentorum," I point my wand to the apple, and it emits a yellow light. The apple stays in its form, as planned. The incantation I spoke translated roughly to 'food to animal' in Latin. I had to look through spellmaking, transfiguration, and Latin textbooks to just figure it out. I knew that Dumbledore knew how to reverse spells, by saying the incantation novis. So I spoke exactly that, and I felt a smile tug at my lips when I chicken appeared in its place. It went crazy across the room, clucking like there was no tomorrow. At this time the Marauders came in through the entrance, each of them smirking.

- - -

I jump out of bed the next morning, hoping nobody was in the Great Hall just yet, but as I came down the Ravenclaw tower, I heard screams. Suddenly, a huge bull rounded the corner, chasing a terrified first year, and I laughed so hard I was crying. As I was about to enter the Great Hall, a deep voice boomed behind me, "I see you find this funny, Miss Alexanders, come to my office this instant." As I turned, my stomach dropped. Dumbledore stood there, piercing me with his gaze through his half-moon spectacles. Oh no, I thought to myself as we passed the two griffins guarding his office.

"Tea, Pandora?" Dumbledore questioned, petting his phoenix as I sat in the chair in front of his desk.

"Uh, no thank you, Professor," I cleared my throat, "Why am I here?"

Dumbledore turned his head to me, and sat down in his seat, "I know you are well aware of why you are here, Miss Alexanders." My heart sunk, "I can recognize your style of charms and transfiguration from a kilometer away." He continued, "And as much as I am impressed, you will receive detention with with Professor Flitwick, your head of House every Monday and Friday evening."

"Yes, Headmaster." I said softly, holding my hands in my lap.

"Oh, and don't think I saw this as a solo mission, my dear. I know you've been with Mr. Potter, Black, Lupin, and Pettigrew for quite some time now. They have to share detention with you as well." He takes a sip of his own tea, "But still, I am quite impressed with the work you have done. You did make your own incantation, yes?" I nodded, "And you are the brains of this group, I assume?" I nodded once again, "Well, I am pleased, and I'm now awarding you ten points to your house for pure intelligence."

My eyes widened, "Headmaster, are you sure you're allowed to do that? I broke school rules."

"As you've just said, I am the Headmaster. I can do as I please. Do you plan on taking a profession in being an Auror or a Minister, Pandora?"

"No sir, I plan to be an on-site reporter for the Daily Prophet." I replied.

"Interesting. Well, I musn't bother you anymore on this fine Sunday morning. You must meet Professor Flitwick in his office on the days that I have assigned you to. And please, take a lemon drop on your way out."

"Thank you," I grabbed the small wrapped candy, and made my way out of his office. I was so confused. I got points, but detention as well? This has officially been the weirdest conversation I have ever had at Hogwarts.

- -

i love dumblydore