Four - The Prank of Tongues

Pandora's POV

September 12th, 1975, 2:30 PM

I sat in Herbology, listening to Professor Sprout lecture about Chinese Chomping Cabbage. "Can someone give me an example of a food that this plant can eat, or rather I say chomp?" Sprout laughs at her own joke, although she doesn't amuse the other students.

I raise my hand. Sprout nods her head at me, "Carrots, Professor. The plant chomps carrots." Professor Sprout happily praises me, "Well done, Miss Alexanders. Ten points to Ravenclaw." I smirk at myself as I continue to write my notes down.

When my last class, Transfiguration, is over, I grab my bag and wand. I walk out with everyone - Lily, Eve, and the Marauders. James makes a flirtatious comment to Lily, who ignores it. As we walk to the Main Hall, we split up to go to our respected common rooms, as per usual. As Eve and I are walking up the stairs, I tell her I'll meet her later at dinner. I start walking down the steps, eventually making it to an empty basement classroom.

Remus and Peter are there, but there's no sign of Sirius and James. "Where the hell are those two idiots?" I ask Remus but he shakes his head. After thirty minutes pass, we still are left reading random books or conjuring bubbles from our wands. After another thirty minutes they finally get here. I wave my wand quickly at both of them, sending them flying in the air as I hang them on a chandelier.

"The bloody hell, Lynn!" Sirius says, trying to cling to his life on the chandelier. I smirk at him. "That's for being late," I laugh, and Peter tries to hide a chuckle.

"Oh, shut up!" James says to Peter, who looks down to his feet. I wave my wand and send them falling to the floor, enjoying the sweet moment of hearing the loud thunk! On the ground.

"Okay, so what's the plan?" Remus asks, folding his arms.

"So, we sneak into the kitchens while the elves aren't looking, find where they prepare the beverages, and evenly distribute the tongue tablets in each liquid."

"Tongue tablets?" Peter asks.

"Yes, get it? Tongues are another word for langu- anyway, that's not the point. We have to do this at least thirty minutes before dinner." The four of them nod, and I appreciate the dexterity of my planning.

An hour and a half later, I meet the boys at the bottom of the west tower, where the Gryffindor common rooms lie. I nod at them and pull a finger to my lips, saying to be silent. We make our way to the basement, near the Hufflepuff common room. I look around for any students at the end of one flight of staircases and see no one, so I open the portrait hole that leads to the kitchens.

When we go in, the kitchens are in yellow-like light, making it easier for us to sneak in and make us unseen. Remus puts his hand in his robes and pulls out a small container that holds the tablets that I made. He hands two to the five of us, each. I go into one row, and search for the drinks. I see a small basin with goblets neatly laid around it, and I drop both tablets into the basin.

We all meet back outside the portrait hole, and James is last to come.

"The effects should last for about an hour, alright? You do the rest," I say. I grab a small tube that holds one tablet. It's a light blue colour. "This," I add, "Is an anti-tablet. I've got four more for tubes for you lot. Once you put it in your system, it will deactivate the hex I've laid in the regular tongue-tablet."

"You're a genius," Sirius responds as I hand them all one.

"I know."

- - -

At dinner that same evening, I sat next to Eve at the dining table. As the food is laid out, I look back at the Marauders, who are quickly swallowing their tablets. I take mine out when no one is looking, and it slowly goes down my throat, making my mouth almost gag.

I watch Eve take a sip of her drink, and she eats more of her food. I ask her a question, trying not to look obvious. "De Verdad?" She asks, in, I'm assuming spanish. I frown, trying to look believable. "Umm, English, Evelyn!"

I look around the Hall and hear hundreds of languages being spoken. I laugh in my head.

Mission Accomplished.

-- 

hi :) how are you feeling today?