Sorting

Astraea Jackson and her brother Triton were at Platform 9 3/4, hugging their parents goodbye. Triton had helped Astraea find an empty compartment on the train, then he went to sit with the other teachers.

She pulled out her sketchbook, and then started to draw a new picture. She was so caught up in her art, that she didn't notice the boy that opened the door.

"Excuse me, but do you mind? Everywhere else is full." She looked up and saw a redhead boy, she smiled kindly at him.

"Sure." She said shyly, he sat down across from her.

"I'm Ron, Ron Weasley." He said, and Astraea knew he wanted to know who she was.

"Astraea Jackson." She said, and Ron looked at her with a confused look. However, the compartment opened up. There was a boy, he looked like what Astraea would have looked like as a boy, only he had emerald green eyes.

"Mind if I join? Everywhere else is full." He said, and Astraea gestured to the seat, and he sat down.

"I'm Ron, Ron Weasley." Ron Said, and the boy looked at her.

"Astraea." She said, then she closed her sketchbook.

"I'm Harry, Harry Potter." At his name, Ron gasped.

"Is it true, do you really have the scar?" He Asked, and Harry showed them his scar. Astraea felt curious about this boy, like she should know him.

"Have any of you seen a toad? A boy named Nevil has lost one." Said a girl, when they turned their heads, Astraea recognized the girl from Madam Malkin's.

"Oh, hello Astraea. My name is Hermione Granger."

"Ron Weasley." Ron Said through a mouth full of food.

"Pleasure." She said slightly disgusted, and she looked at Harry.

"Your Harry Potter! What happened to your glasses?" She Asked as she took out her wand.

"Occultist Reparo." She said, and Harry's glasses were fixed.

"Well, is best be going, oh, and you might want to change into your robes. I suspect we'll be arriving soon." She said as she left the compartment.

"Well, that was interesting." Said Ron, and Astraea just grabbed her robes and left the compartment.

Time skip and one boat ride later.....

"So the rumors are true. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." Said a rude voice, she turned her head and saw a pale sniveling boy approach them.

"The names Draco, this is Crabb and Goyle. You best hang with us, don't want to get aquatinted with the wrong people now would we?" Said the boy, and Astraea grew angry.

"Thanks, but I think I can decide for myself." Said Harry, and Astraea stepped forward.

"Also, who do you think you are to downgrade and belittle other people?" She said, and Draco turned to look at her.

"Well, beautiful. I'm a pure blood, we're better than others. Stuck with us, and you'll be with a good crowed." Draco Said, and Astraea just stomped on his toe.

"Thanks, but I don't like to speak to belittling snobs like yourself. Also, I'm a pure blood as well. So, I don't need your blood excuse." Astraea Said, then McGonagle arrived. They entered the great hall, and then got before the old hat.

Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!

Everyone burst into applause, and then the sorting began. Harry, Ron, and Hermione all got into Gryffindor. Astraea just hoped she didn't get Slytherin with Malfoy, and she prayed to every god to make sure that didn't happen.

"Astraea Jackson." McGonagle Said, and Astraea cautiously made her way up. Then the sorting hat was placed on her head.

'Hmmmm, very interesting. You are quite the conundrum, you could do well in every house.' The hat said into her head.

'What do you mean? I thought you could only go into one house?' She thought.

'You can, but where to put you? Someone who is more loyal than the average Huflepuff, more daring and brave than the average Gryffindor, not as smart as the average Ravenclaw in the sense of information, but Farr past it in the sense of instinct. Your not malicious enough for Slytherin, but you are sly when you need to be.' Said the hat, and this scared her greatly.

"Sorting hat, what house is she in?" Asked McGonagle rather briskly.

"I can't decide, she's too well rounded. This girl would do well in any of the houses." The hat said, and everyone was surprised by that.

'Just not Slytherin.' She thought, and then she looked over at her brother. She was scared, scared she'd be turned evil if she went into Slytherin.

"Better be Gryffindor!" The hat Cried out, and Gryffindor erupted into applause. Astraea was quite shy, so she hated all the attention she was getting. Quickly making her way to the table, she sat down next to Hermione.

"I thought you said you weren't a people person?" Asked the girl earnestly, and Astraea just sighed.

"No, I'm just shy. I want to be more like I was before, I was outgoing and not afraid to have attention occasionally on me. That was long ago, before this incident I caused last year." She said, and Hermione place a hand on her shoulder and gave her a reassuring smile.

"Hey, don't worry. I'll help you, after all, what are friends for?" She Replied, and Astraea gave her a smile.

"You're wanting me as a friend?" She Asked, in slight disbelief.

"Yes, I do."

"Thank you." Astraea Said as she hugged Hermione, surprising the girl. They both laughed, but then went to eating their food.