7. Correspondence

After a particularly grueling Quidditch practice, I split off from my team on our way through the castle. They headed down one corridor towards the Dining Hall for supper, Mona and Posie with their arms around Cassie in support. There was always a member of the Quidditch team near Cassie, ready to comfort her or jinx offenders whenever necessary.

"Good work today, everybody," I said.

"Are you not coming to dinner?" Oliver asked. "You keep going on about us all eating our vegetables -"

"And our protein," Heather interjected. "For our muscles."

We all laughed.

"I'll be down in a bit. I need to run to the Owlery first. I haven't had much free time between classes and Quidditch."

"Yeah, we don't want your mum worrying too much about you," Oliver said. "Go send your letter."

They waved goodbye and I took the opposite turn towards the Owlery, to send my mother the first letter of the school year.

Dad doesn't like the idea of owls showing up at our house and potentially marring our respectable reputation in the respectable neighborhood, but my mother and I found a loophole sometime during the summer after my first year. Turns out that I'm not the only witch in the area. Ms. Thompson lives a few streets over from us and is married to a Muggle man. She is perfectly happy to act as a middle man for all the letters my mother and I want to exchange, and her only requirement is that I do some shopping for her in Hogsmeade on my visiting days. She sends me the money, and I'll send back the quills and Every Flavor Beans she wants. It's a good deal, and it keeps Dad in the dark. 

Pavo flies down as soon as I enter the Owlery. He pecks at my shoulder, annoyed that I haven't had time to visit him. I pull out a bread crust I saved from lunch and he eats it greedily and warms up to me again. The other owls in the place screeched and cam closer to investigate, but Pavo screeched louder and hopped onto my head to claim me as his own.

"Calm down, buddy," I said. "I've got a job for you, if you'll be patient and let me write for a minute."

I pull out a piece of parchment and my quill and sit down by the windowsill, using it as a desk as I write. 

Dear Mum,

Schools been the same as usual so far this year. Potions and Magical Creatures classes are very good.  Both teachers have told me that they expect good N.E.W.T. results from me next year! Dark Arts is harder but Holly has offered to help me pass in exchange for tutoring her in Muggle Studies. She hardly needs my help, though; her only problem is her laziness.

Sawyer is good as well, as are the other girls in my dormitory. Quidditch is not going so well. We lost our first match of the season, but there are many more. Being Captain is fun, but harder than I expected. Especially with our seeker, who is having a tough time with her confidence.

I'll be visiting Hogsmeade in a fortnight, so tell Ms. Thompson to include her orders with your letter. Sorry this is so quick - I have barely had any time with constant Quidditch practice and essay writing. Now I'm missing dinner (don't worry - I'm eating enough!) and Pavo's pecking at my hand impatiently. I'll write a proper letter soon, I promise! How are you and Dad?

Love you, Essie

P.S. A Slytherin boy has been trying to make friends. Sawyer doesn't like him because of our different houses. I don't want to upset either of them. Any advice?

Pavo notices me finishing and swoops over, holding his leg out obediently. I fold up the letter and tie it to him and then ruffle his feathers once more.