3. Quidditch

Class schedules were passed out on the first day of term. There was a lot of movement between tables as friends from different houses compared schedules, wanting to see whether their friends would be in double classes with them. The enchanted ceiling showed a blue sky and several big, white fluffy clouds, brightening my mood. Sawyer and I, feeling good to be dressed in Hogwarts robes again, were joined at the Hufflepuff table by Holly, who was already looking stressed.

"You're still in Muggle studies?" I asked, scanning Holly's schedule.

"Yeah, all your help over the past few years has really paid off," Holly replied, stealing a piece of toast off my plate. "That class is honestly so confusing. Electricity, all those different telly words, boring muggle sports. How do your parents do anything without magic?"

"To be honest, they don't do much at all."

Holly laughed and Sawyer snatched my schedule away instead. He wasn't wearing his glasses, they lay forgotten in the dorm again most likely. Instead he pressed the parchment close to his nose, almost immediately ripping it in half. 

"Sorry," he said sheepishly. He pulled out his wand and tapped the tear, saying, "Reparo." That had been the first spell Sawyer perfected, a result of him having to use it so often. The schedule stuck itself back together and I took it off him, choosing to read it out loud.

"We're in almost everything together, Sawyer. And we've got double Herbology with Ravenclaw on Tuesday afternoons, double again with Slytherin in Defense Against the Dark Arts on Fridays."

Sawyer groaned. "Just wonderful. We Hufflepuffs will be the defense part and the Slytherins will be the dark arts, I assume."

"I'm really going to need your help for that class, Holly," I said. "I only just barely scraped by on my O.W.L.S. and now they're going to expect me to work at N.E.W.T. level while captaining the Quidditch team and dealing with all my other classes all at the same time. I almost wish I'd failed the class after all."

"I'll get you through it if you can get me through Muggle Studies."

"Deal."

We shook hands on it and everything.

For the very first class of the day, Holly joined some of her Ravenclaw pals to head down into the dungeons for Potions while Sawyer and I followed other Hufflepuff students up to Professor Binn's room. Having History of Magic was bad enough normally, but first thing on a Monday morning would be even worse. 

I reminisced back to my first year as Professor Binns jumped straight into our history lesson, not bothering with the regular introduction days most of the other classes did at the start of term. I thought about how I had thought having a ghost for a teacher would be so cool, and much more interesting than a normal history teacher. I had been wrong. Binns did have a lot of stories to tell, he just told them in a very boring way. Nevertheless, I didn't want to start my sixth year off on the wrong foot so I forced my eyes open and I took dutiful notes on fresh parchment.

Stepping out of the classroom later, Sawyer and I shared notes, filling each other in on what the other had missed as they zoned out. The rest of the day passed more or less the same way, the halls ringing with the sound of friends catching up after the long time away.

The rest of the week did not pass so smoothly. After the first day, teachers began bombarding us with assignments again. One of the girls I shared my dorm with, Felicia, had a break down before we had even reached the first Friday of the year. The rest of us had to calm her down over lunch so she could manage to complete her foot long Potions essay for her next class. Other students laughed as poor Felicia cried into her soup, but Claudette threatened the offenders with a Bat Bogey Hex and they cleared off.