Epilogue

Pavo screeched indignantly as I came into my room, staggering under the bulk of my laundry basket. I dumped it onto my bed - neatly, as to not disturb the carefully folded clothes inside - and tossed Pavo a treat to calm him down.

"You haven't got much longer to wait," I told him, "until you're not going to be stuck in that cage at all." And, I added in my head, I wouldn't be stuck in mine, either.

Calling my existence in the muggle world a cage wasn't exactly fair, though. I still had friends from my primary school days who were happy to invite me on their day trips into London or to go see a movie at the local theatre. I got to catch up on all the muggle culture I had missed during the school year, too. I spent a bit too much time in front of the television during my first week or so back home, marathoning Doctor Who and whatever else.

Still, that didn't mean I wasn't excited. Because I most definitely was.

"Esther?"

My mum poked her head through the door.

"Yes, Mum?"

"What time did they say they would arrive?"

I didn't need to pull out the latest letter from the pile of parchment on my desk in order to tell her. I had practically memorized it. Thankfully it had been Rose that wrote out the logistical details and not Hugo, or I never would have been able to decipher it.

"Three o'clock," I said.

"Do you think I should run down to the shop to pick up some Ribena? Maybe some biscuits?"

"I don't know how long they're going to stay."

"You're right, of course." My mum waved the concern away and turned to leave, but her face revealed her nerves. I called her back.

"I think Ribena would be great," I said. "I'm sure they'll at least stay for a cup of tea."

My mother nodded, glad for something to do. "I'll go down the shop then. You don't need any help packing, do you? Or need me to pick up anything more for you to take?"

I shook my head. "Thanks, Mum."

She disappeared and after a few minutes, I heard the front door open and close as she left for the shop. I grinned at Pavo.

"They're going to be here soon," I said. I had been saying it out loud as much as possible, because saying things aloud tended to make them feel more real. Part of me was still worried that I had imagined the whole thing, that in twenty minutes they wouldn't show up, that they wouldn't take me back to stay with them for the remainder of the summer holidays.

"Today," I told Pavo, "they're going to pick me up. Although I'm staying with the Weasleys, it's my uncle Harry that's going to pick me up, so he can talk with my parents. I'm going to share Rose's room. On Saturday, Scorpius is going to visit and we're going to play a lot of Quidditch. We're going to a match together, and Holly and Sawyer are going to meet us there. We're going to meet Mum and Dad in London again to do school shopping, so they can see me again before I go off to school."

I plopped on to my bed next to my laundry basket and laid back so I was staring at the ceiling. I took a deep breath and held it for a moment before exhaling.

"My name is Esther Dursley," I said to the ceiling, "and I'm a muggleborn witch." I paused for a long time. "I'm going to find a way to not have to choose between being both a muggle and a witch."

Saying things out loud makes them true.

~~~

I had been somewhat worried that the Potters would arrive via broomstick, landing on our roof without warning. Or that they'd tumble out of the fireplace, having used floo powder, or would apparate straight into our living room. Or, worst of all, they wouldn't come at all.