Preface

I was in love with him.

I was in love with those dark, green eyes and that pearly white smile he wore everyday. He was beautiful, he was everything I wished I could have been. He was smart, compassionate, athletic, funny and always kind toward everybody.

I remember the day I met Jake Andrews, the morning of the first day of Kindergarden. He wore a Ninja Turtles T-shirt, dark jeans and small, black converse. He had glasses then, that fit around his cute face and complemented his curly brown hair.

He walked over to put his backpack away, and sat down at a table with a few other boys.

It was obvious that Jake was going to be popular from the start. He was so kind, sharing markers with his friends and making people laugh.

He had this effect on people that drew them in, that made them smile.

I looked over at the table, then at my hands. I sat by myself, at a lonely wooden table in a chair to tall for my tiny legs. I pulled at my blonde pig tails and listened to the teacher assign our first coloring assignment.

Suddenly, somebody came down and sat next to me. I looked to my right, noticing that it was the boy I saw earlier with glasses.

"Hello, I'm Jake." He said, with a bright smiling covering his chubby cheeks.

I smiled and meekly replied, "Hi, I'm Ella."

We talked, laughed and played together for the rest of the day. He even shared some of his lunch with me, seeing I forgot mine.

We were attached at the hip ever since. He was my best friend, and I was his.

Over the years, through all the tough times, scrapped knees, breakup's and fights with our friends or parents, we were there for each other. Jake had always cared about me. I remember one day, when we were eleven years old. He made a promise to me.

In the tree house of my backyard, sitting on the window sill as the sun went down, he said, "Ella Grace. I promise that every single day, I will make you smile."

And he did. Each and everyday, he made me smile. And each and everyday, I fell in love with him more.

Up until the day where my life was changed forever.