I understand.

It was just us against the world, And it felt as if we were the last remaining faith of humanity left, In our eyes at least.

And then I was left. I'm the bruised apple of the bunch, Never to be picked but to serve as something aesthetically pleasing to look at.

I'm that broken string of a guitar, Everything else on the body works, But that one string holds it back from showing true beauty.

I'm the dog in the window of a pet store. The one that approaches you, and you pretend not to notice because I'm not the best of them all, and you could simply pick one without so many catches.

I might not be the best of them all, I might not be the brightest star of everyone's night sky, But I'm enough to light up yours. 

You don't have to pick me, I'm not the only flower in your garden. 

You're probably not going to, Because my petals are bruised.

And I don't want you to, Because  you don't deserve this flower, you deserve the whole bouquet.

But I'm not going to sit here and drown myself in a pool of self pity, Because it's just my imagination drifting away from positivity, Because I understand.

You didn't leave because I'm horrible

Not because I'm sad, and not because I'm broken

Because we just didn't match up like we thought we did.

So, I understand.