Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"Hey Emery."

 A tap comes to Emery's shoulder and she turns around on her chair stiffly. Both Dane and Kate glare at Charlotte but Charlotte's wide smirk doesn't falter. 

"Yes?" asks Emery, her body tensed for any comments Charlotte has to say about her. She doesn't know Charlotte's game but she doesn't care. Whatever it is, Emery will not participate in her petty, little rich girl routine. Not this time.

"Mr Grant wants to see you in his classroom."

Then having delivered her message, the auburn beauty bounds towards her own group. 

"Why does he want to see you?" asks Dane in confusion.

Emery takes a long glance at Charlotte's figure gliding into her seat, as her eyebrows scrunching in equal bewilderment. Why would Mr Gran-oh? Yesterday. Of course. 

Emery smothers her grimaces and packs her stuff.

"Not sure but I better go see," she mutters exiting the cafeteria.

Dane watches her scatter away with befuddlement, wondering why on Earth she's lying to him about Mr Grant?

                                                ****

"Sir, you wanted to see me?" Emery calls stepping into the empty classroom and leaving the door only a few centimetres ajar. No doubt, she's going to be in trouble and the last thing she wants is for any of her pear-group eavesdropping, especially not when all the fuss about her and Dane is just about dying down.

"Emery? What are you doing here? I never sent that message," clarifies Blake in amusement and puzzlement, gazing up from his marking.

He'd fallen asleep last night in front of the football game and woke up with the news blaring at him, covered in papers. Ah, the life of a high-school teacher-forever glamorous.

"Oh. Sorry, I must've misheard or something," mutters Emery taking her leave when Blake rises from his seat and calls her back. Is Charlotte so full of jealousy that she has to resort to lying about teachers wanting to see Emery just to stop witnessing Dane beside her? Now that is extremely juvenile.

"Wait! Since you're here, explain something to me Emery; why did you lie yesterday? Do you know how badly that impacts my credibility? Do you realise how much trust I've now lost in you? Why did you do it?" fires away Blake releasing his anger and unknowingly taking a step forward with each question.

Emery takes a final step back, only to collide softly with the door and snapping it shut with a quiet click.

"M-Mr Grant," she mumbles, threatened by his imposing figure looming over her just a step forward. 

"Tell me Emery," he half-whispers with the tiniest step toward her pressed figure against the door. 

"She-she threatened my mom's job," explains Emery in the same quiet whisper. 

Blake relaxes his shoulders slightly.

Her mom's job? Is it that important? More important than taking down her bully? He can't believe this. How would an 18 year old girl have a grown woman loosing her job anyway? It's ridiculous.

"It was an empty threat and you should have known," whispers Blake with one final step forward to come a breath away from her body.