Mi Familia

Quiet.

  Seconds tick by as we stand idly by the door with surprise banners and party poppers. I couldn't tell if it was nervous sweat dripping down my head or my wet hair but I was currently having a heart attack. My mom is like a bloodhound she can scent anything and track it down. I know that if I did spray a lot of air freshener suddenly one day she would know something is up. That is why I prepared for that. Everyday since I turned sixteen I go around the house spraying air freshener. Thanks to me, Dane's "Sage" burning was always covered by the fragrance of lilacs and vanilla.

"Shh they're walking up the stairs!" The sound of keys jingling makes us all shut up and even with some people, stop breathing.

The door slowly creaks open as it would in a horror movie and it felt like minutes before the door busts, hitting the wall with a boom. And there stands my mom smiling happily wearing the same old weird hippy getup as always. Her slanted eyes crinkle more as someone who is more evil and mean steps in through the house.

Uncle Mark. My stomache churns in anxiety as he puts on a sickly sweet smile.

Now, I know your asking 'Why are you scared of you uncle?'

One, I'm not scared of him I just think of him as an enemy (Even though without a doubt I still love him) and, Two, he is evil.

The epitome of pure evil. He is the type to hold the door open for someone thirty feet away just to see them hustle to him all flustered. Or grabs the last yoo-hoo and remains eye contact with them as he "accidentally" spills it.(has happened once before)

One time he borrowed my laptop and took a screenshot of the desktop and set it as the wallpaper before deleting all the actual icons. I'm not very good with technology so I took it to a specialist and paid 60 bucks only to find out that it's just a wallpaper.

And all of this anger and hostility he has towards us is because he is a very weirdly overprotective and possessive older brother of my mom. He is like one of those anime brothers who get jealous when someone new comes into the younger sisters life. He doesn't think we are worthy of her time. So he has been bullying me and Dane since we arrived here. I mean who would blame him though? Mama Joe is an angel sent from god himself and if I was as mean as he is then I would probably so the same thing.

"Mommy!" I run towards my mom and jump in her arms. My arms squeeze tighter around her as I hear my Uncle grumble under his breath. I put my head on my mom's shoulder to look at my grouchy uncle and I put on the the most smug face I could muster. He flips me off and I giggle as my mom Pat's my back lovingly but that moment is ruined as annoying brother jumps in on the hug. He slyly pushes himself between me and mom and shoves me away.

I kick him in the ass.

"Ouch! Mommy! She hit me!" He pouts and points at me. My mom rolls her eyes at us and motions for me to come to her. Without hesitating I ran and jump in her arms. Me and Duke both sharing her love.

"How are my puppies?" She gives us a pack on the head before stepping out of our arms. Puppies, that's what she calls us.

"Same ol', Mama Joe." Dane agrees with me,"But I thought that you were bringing Auntie Michelle?"

"Plans changed."

"Awe that sucks." I pout.

"I'm really feeling the love here." Uncle mark says sarcastically.

"Well, you shouldn't." I snap at him. My mom slaps the back of my head and I slump in defeat as he chuckles.

"Dane? Who are your friends, honey?" My heart jumps for a second and I turn towards the boys who are all confused.
Think fast.