Three.

"The beginning of all things, start off with small."

★-★-★-★-★-★

Sleep was something that come hard to me, all because of my fear of not waking up. In my opinion, this fear make me seem weak as it was silly as there are so many more things in life that are worse, things that should be feared more. Yet here I am, laying in bed with a silly fear keeping me awake for hours on end. 

Back at the tribe, my grandmother had realised my lack of sleep not too long after it started and had secretly talked to the tribe's healer for help. The Healer, named Aeson, was a wise old man who came from a long line of healers. 

I was not a large fan of the thought of someone else knowing, one person was enough. Having this fear made me feel small, inferior, weak. 

Once Aeson had become aware of my troubles, he had put together a special tea that contained calming herbs to help, luckily, it had worked.

Every night before bed, the tribe would have a massive bonfire where we would sing songs and danced until we couldn't continue. This had been a tradition for hundreds of years.

After everyone calmed down and began eating, I would drink the tea before heading to bed.

Unfortunately, the tea will now no longer be available and my eyes will remain glued opened as they once did. 

A low growl erupted from my right, breaking me from thought. I glanced over at Ptolema as her head had lifted to look at the locked door, her head crooked to the side. I stifled a laugh at her puppy-like state, about to tell her to calm down, that there was nothing there to worry about but I froze at a voice. 

The voice was muffled due to the door and how far away I was from it but after a few minutes of listening, I could distinguish two voices. They were speaking in hushed voices, obviously trying not to be heard but that was not working because here I laid, hearing their muffled voices through the wooden door. To be fair, I wasn't asleep anyway.

The covers flung off my body and I jumped out of the single bed to walk to the door but as I past Ptolema, I gave her head a quick scratch. The voices were clearer now that I stood next to the door and I confirm them to be my newly acquainted friends, Rollan and Conor.

Conor's voice rose first. "What's in the bag?"

"Falcon food. You know . . . as bait." 

My eyes rolled and instantly unlocked the door, flinging it open with raised eyebrows. The door squeaked loudly, making my ears ring but I ignored it. The two boys, who I could now see, silently screamed and I press my lips together to suppress a laugh.