~*Chapter Ten*~ Thoughts Of The Past And Lingering Sadness

“Shinami… Are you alright…? You’ve been awfully quiet…” Sakura inquires, attempting to cure the deafening silence. “Yeah. I’m fine.” I answered quickly. She didn’t believe me, but didn’t push it any further.

As we set up camp it began to lightly sprinkle. Our tents were set up under some large trees in a huge forest and we all quickly made it into our tents right before it started pouring.

When I thought everyone was asleep, I walked outside, to find it pouring down hard. Some hail was even mixed in. I walked a ways until I reached a clearing. Each step became lighter, while I spun on my feet and began to dance in the rain. Even though I was in the rain by myself, my heart ache slightly lifted, if only for a moment. It was like the sky understood my pain, crying as I did. I sobbed my heart out but kept my same rhythm, refusing to stop. I eventually found myself on top of a small lake, glistening in the barely hidden moonlight. Walking to the center, then continuing to spin and twirl, just as I used to. Just like the old days.

//FLASHBACK//

“Shinami… This is your fiancé, Zabuza Momochi.” My mother said from behind me, biting back her foul thoughts of the idea. She and my father were leaving me there for a while, then coming to retrieve me once they had things settled in another village. No one was supposed to know of this, because the reason we were moving was to avoid the marriage. I was five at the time. My ‘fiancé’ was fifteen. five years difference.

My mother left the room and the two of us erupted into silence. I forced a smile, to try and be polite. “You’re just a kid! Why do I have to marry you?!” My smile slowly faded. “Like I agreed to this!” I snapped. Angered by my tone, he threw a punch that I easily dodged, then I swept my legs out and kicked his legs from under him. He hit his head hard, and knocked himself out.

“Uhhrrg…” He mumbled, finally waking up, his head rested in my lap. “You’ve been out for a while now…” I said calmly. It had been a couple hours, and the sun was at the brink of disappearance. “Why you…!” “Don’t be mad cause you got knocked out. If you move around you’ll just get a head rush.” I warned. He of coarse, didn’t listen and sat up quickly, only to fall back moments later. “Told you…”

///NEXT FLASHBACK!!///

I was seven. My parents had already  moved us to the hidden leaf village, where we hid from my cousins branch, the Momochi’s. We went back to visit every once in a while to make sure they couldn’t find us, and to not raise their suspicion.

“Zaziiiiii!! Watcha doooooiiiinnnn???!!” I somewhat hollered from the tree branch overlooking the back yard of the Momochi estate. “Training. What does it look like?!” He snapped. I sighed down at him. “I’m board! I know! LETS GO SWIMMING!” I jumped out of the tree and onto his back, sending us both tumbling to the ground. “Remember! Your parents and mine said you have to be nice to me!” “Uhg! FINE!” He walked off, with me soon following him. “Yay!!”

“It’s so pretty!” I yelled. The scene before me was so beautiful. The lake that no one else ever went to, was glistening in the moonlight. It took us hours just to finally find the place. He walked over to it, then over it, earning a loud gasp from yours truly. “Wow!” I realized what he did. He focused his chakra to his feet. I copied his motions and walked out beside him. “You’re a quick learner.” He muttered. I shrugged. “I kind of have to be.” I began spinning and laughing. Dancing atop the strangely flat surface below me.

Before he could realize what happened, I released the chakra from my feet, sinking into the water and grabbing his ankles and dragging him with me. “What the-?!” SPLASH!

“The water’s freezing!” I shivered, yet laughed. Zabuza reached the surface to glare at me, causing me to laugh. “HAHAHA! You look like a wet puppy!” I pointed out his now flattened hair. He grunts, and I splash him. “Stop being so grumpy all the time!” I teased, starting a mini water fight. He didn’t admit it, but he was having fun.

Once we were tired, we got out of the lake and I sat down with my palms behind me to support my weight, as Zabuza lay his head in its usual place in my lap. “It’s so nice out.” I smiled, then let out a small sneeze. With that, he stood. “Lets get back before we get ourselves sick.” Surprisingly, he held his hand out to me and hoisted me up, then onto his shoulders, causing me to giggle, and a small smile to sweep across his face.

///NEXT FLASHBACK///

I was eight. Our visits to the Momochi’s became shorter, and less frequent. Something woke me. A strange sound from down the hall. I leave to check it out, then stop soon after finding the source.

I enter Zabuza’s room, to find him on his bed, tossing and turning from what seemed to be a nightmare. I went over and shook him lightly. He jolted in his sleep, then woke up, sitting up whilst throwing his arm out towards me, which was holding a Kunai. His eyes adjusted, and turned to regret once he saw what had happened. I had barely dodged out of the way, resulting in him cutting my hair, way above my shoulders. I had a small cut on my neck also, from before I could dodge. He was panting, and I saw a tear or two leave his eyes. “Was it your graduating exam again…?” I asked softly. He nodded, avoiding eye contact. I hugged him tight, not wanting him to feel scared or alone anymore. I stayed with him all night.

The next morning after breakfast, I sat on the side porch to view the small clearing on the side of the property, with Zabuza joining me, laying his head in my lap yet again.

“Shinami…?” “Hm?” “You don’t… Mind marrying me, do you?” I smiled down at him and shook my head. “Of coarse I don’t mind. You’re my best friend!” He managed a smirk, then sat up, kissing me on the forehead.

//END FLASHBACKS! MAYBE MORE LATER!!//

I hadn’t realized I had stopped spinning until I found myself lying on my back beside the lake, huffing and out of breath, while sobbing my heart out.

Once my throat hurt from sobbing, I forced myself to stop. Moments after I heard someone approaching.

“Shinami-” “Go away Kakashi.” I hissed, already hearing the sympathetic tone in his voice. “You shouldn’t be out here in he rain. You could get sick-” “I have no family. All dead from events I could have prevented…. And not to mention I get dumped before I can even realize how I freakin feel about you, so fuck off. Do you honestly think a small sickness is going to bother me?” He said nothing. I kept my gaze on the cloudy yet moonlit sky. It was still raining, and I felt my eyes begin to drop slowly. “Shinami!” “What!?” “You’re not sleeping out here… Come on, let’s get back to camp…” “I’m perfectly fine where I’m at.” I heard him sigh, then he poofed so he was right next to me. Before I could fight back he picked me up and poofed back to the campsite. Once he set me down, I slapped him as hard as I could. “Just KEEP THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!” I yelled, entering my tent in a huff. I stripped out of my wet clothes, and hung them on a simple wire I hung on the opposite side of the tent. I slipped on some dry undergarments and slipped into my sleeping bag and blankets, slowly drifting off to sleep.