Chapter 48

Chapter 48

"Good morning." Matthew Cavalier announced as he walked into the lecture hall. 

The tittering started up. It always did when the new semester began, and, with it, brought new students. Female ones.

 It was cold and wet weather, so his knee was acting up. The dull ache had irritated him that morning when he'd taken his pills to protect the joint. He could still run and go to the gym if he wore his brace, but his knee never quite healed from that car accident. It didn't stop him from exercising regularly, of course. As if Matthew Cavalier could give up his physique. Maybe too regularly, he thought as he stared down another class full of freshmen college girls who batted their lashes and shuffled at his attention. Clearly they thought he exercised enough as they eyed his broad shoulders and chest.

He dropped a briefcase on the desk and pulled off his black trench coat before rolling up his sleeves. The ends of his hair had begun curling over his collar. It's time for a haircut again, he thought as he ran his hands through his hair and pressed the button to start up the projector. His motorcycle wouldn't start that morning, so he'd had to rush to catch a cab and God himself knew New York City traffic was a bitch.

When the projector flicked to life, he loaded up his slides for lecture one, Ancient History 101. He took a breath and grinned over his class, ignoring the ones that swooned and checking out the interested faces he could see. Sure, part of the reason his classes were full involved ogling young girls, but the other reason was because he was an enthusiastic lecturer, good at his job.

"Ancient history," He began, clapping his hands. "Someone define it for me." Hands flew up, and he grinned.

He was bright, happy, waving his arms about as he taught. He told jokes that the students really laughed at - not just the polite chuckle of haha, teacher made a funny, but genuine, surprised barks of laughter. He laughed at his own jokes – just enough to know he was really enjoying himself. He sat on his desk sometimes, walked up and down the rows of students and leaned against the left and right walls of the hall. He gently corrected those who didn't understand. He was kind and warm and he loved his field of study. He loved what he did, and they loved him for it.

The class went well. He was happy, and it made the students happy.

"Alright," he announced, "If I haven't scared all of you away, I'll see you next week. Do your readings."

He turned from the classroom, as they rose from their seats, and packed his briefcase. 

"Excuse me." A voice began behind him. He turned. A gaggle of pretty young things awaited him, smiling. He forced a wan smile. "We just wanted to say that we really appreciated the class and you're such a great lecturer and we just really like what you said."

He smiled at them each in turn. "Thank you." He walked around the desk to give himself some space as they giggled, and slowly made their way to the back of the room.

He liked his job. But the attention scared him sometimes and put him off most times. He picked up his coat and swung it on in one clean, practiced move before picking up his case and fiddling with his collar with his other hand. 

"They seem to really like you." He dropped his suitcase.

***

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." I whispered.

He turned, and those caramel gold eyes burned into me. Stupidly, I wondered if he liked my hair. I pushed a hand though it nervously. I'd chopped it off years ago.  I wore it in a short, wavy lob. I wondered if he liked the close fitting, turtle necked ivory cashmere sweater I wore or how it looked with my dark blue jeans and my heeled brown leather boots. I wondered if he thought I looked good with the brown leather laptop bag on my left shoulder, or the ankle length brown leather coat I had folded over my arm. I tucked my hair behind my right ear and wondered if he liked the two, dainty little rings I had pierced through the top of my helix or the three piercings up the side of my ear lobes. I wondered if he liked that I'd lost some weight around my waist and thighs but had gained some around my breasts and rear. I wondered if he liked that i'd gotten about an inch taller.