Chapter forty two

Chapter 42

I woke up in Matthew's bed. It wasn't that it smelled like him- it smelled like your average laundry detergent. It was just that I opened my eyes and knew I was in Matthew's space.

A younger version at least. The walls were free of posters sans a cork board that I could see across from me. His double bed had been pushed into a corner so the head and left side were pressed into a wall. He had a dark wood bedside table with a lamp and novel on it and a headboard. It was plain but functional, a checkerboard pattern of milk toffee and dark chocolate brown. His walls were a creamy beige, and the honey wood floors had a chocolate area rug. Across from the bed a dark wood desk sat bare but for a desk lamp, on the wall above it a cork board tacked neatly with photos around the border, the inside bare but for the holes tacks had pressed into it a long while ago. To it's left, a large wooden bookshelf, filled to overflowing with historical books, texts and novels. Through an open, darkly stained door on the right I could see the white tile of a bathroom. To the left, the free standing room's door stood open, light and fresh, icy air streaming in from the outside and through the windows.

However, my view to the outside world was blocked by the man sitting on the corner of the bed, with his head in his hands.

It was totally believable that Matthew and Joey were brothers. They were similar enough that you could see it when told- dark hair, tall, square shoulders. It would be easy enough for any onlookers to simply think Joey took more after their mother, Matthew after their rather. but now I saw it differently. Matthew's features were razor sharp and cut. Joeys were softer and rounder and with age they would get large and full and hard like his fathers- but they would never become the strong, lean, sharply predatory look of Matthews. Matthews features made him look like a powerful black panther, while Joey's were setting him up to one day be a raging pull; big and square power and muscle.

I realised I was thinking about it way too in depth when I woke from my stupor to find Joey's eyes aimed at mine and a deep frown. I hadn't even seen him move.

So, we stared at each other in awkward silence.

"He liked you more than me and I didn't get it. I mean, I get it now or whatever but back then I didn't. And Matthews always been the favorite, so like, it sucked that he wouldn't let it rub off on me, ya know? The first couple years of high school were rough, man, and my big brother didn't help me 'cuz he was obsessed with you. And I didn't know who you were and who he was till this year. I'm not saying I'm sorry." he looked up and his eyes held cool distance. "'Cuz I'm not. It's way dumb that you didn't figure out what you were and all that. And fuck you for fucking up my family." I winced inside, remained detached on the outside.

"But I get it's not your fault or whatever."

We stared at each other awkwardly for a while.

"Okay." I said finally.

"Do you know what they're talking about over there?" he asked, hitching a thumb over his shoulder toward the main house.

I shook my head.

"They're talking about calling in James' old buddies to find some way to save them. They're working on a plan."

I nodded my head.

"That doesn't include us."

I nodded, slower this time, brow furrowing. I mean, I understood why Joey wouldn't be involved. He was important to the story, but it made sense that he wouldn't be involved with the rescue attempt. Hell, I didn't think he would want to be involved. But I did. Kat and James knew more than anyone about the circumstances surrounding my life, and if the party we'd been to was any indication, they seemed to have some kind of knowledge of who was after me. And then there was Matthew... No. I needed to be involved.

I opened my mouth to say it, but Joey beat me to it. "I know." He cut me off. "I'm tired of being underestimated too."

Okay, it isn't exactly what I wanted to say but if those were the words that earned me some kind of camaraderie with Joey, I'd accept them.

"So, I have this idea." he fiddled with his thumbs, then ran a hand through his hair. Very Matthew-like. "But it's a really bad idea. Like, really, really bad."

I slowly sat myself up in bed. Caught one of the photos on Matthew's corkboard out of the corner of my eye. To the average observer it was unremarkable. A young, dark haired little boy hugging a young, light haired little girl. She was looking at the camera, Hazel eyes as wide as saucers, her grin caught off guard and her right front tooth was missing. "Alright, Joey." I said slowly, turning back to him. "Talk to me."

***

That evening, Joey and I were sat on the couch in our pajamas, watching a crappy action flick and sharing a jumbo bowl of popcorn. His mother and father kept sending confused and questioning looks our way; we'd gone from cat and dog to two content little hamsters. My mother and father saw no issue with our behavior and were oblivious to their confusion, and Tommy was safely tucked away at a friend's house after we'd all agreed that he needn't be involved.

In the kitchen, the four parents stood, joined by four men and one woman. I'd genuinely imagined Kat and James' mercenary friends would show up in full tactical gear in a hummer with a machine gun mounted on top. I mean, they didn't exactly look like civilians. They smiled politely and laughed happily and each sipped a beer as they planned, but there was something not quite right and just a little off. They were super nice and all, but when they looked at you, there was calculaton in their eyes, an ever so slight iciness. I got the feeling that you could trust them with your life but never with your secrets, so I kept mine firmly locked up tight.

To the casual observer, Joey and I were intensely watching a movie. But a second glance would reveal the pair of earphones we shared. One in his left ear and one in my right that disappeared behind our shoulders, mine carefully hidden behind my hair and joyes hidden by the pillow he pressed the left side of his face into. The wire disappeared beneath the blanket we shared and was plugged into the child's walkie talkie between us. It's brother was in the kitchen, taped beneath the island counter. Nobody looked close enough to notice. Joey was right. We were underestimated.

We heard every word.

Mother, father and son were being held in a warehouse in the center of the clubbing district we shared with Silver Valley. Apparently, the people who had taken them didn't do anything to cover their tracks what so ever. Duncan wanted this fight. Shit.

The mercenaries had decided to go in, guns blazing and no finesse. They had determined that Duncan wanted to cause collateral damage, and holding the three hostage was the best way to find out who else was involved with them. So if he wanted an all out fight, he'd get one. We also learned that Duncan was unaware that he had a nephew- he thought Matthew was just some apprentice and I was his girlfriend. The first collateral damage.

The warehouse was heavily guarded and they were all more than confident in their skills. Joey and I? Not so much.

"See what I mean?" he muttered out of the corner of his mouth. I gave one jerky head nod. "You agree with my plan now?"

I sent him a long, slow look. "Not really. But I can't deal with the thought of Matthew dead."

We looked at each other for a long time.

We had no better options.

"Make the call."

***

Filler chapter.

I am sorry for the long wait between uploads, it's just that our story is coming to an end and I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to write the closing chapters. Thank you for your patience.

xoxo