Chapter two

CHAPTER 2

I remembered being carried in the arms of someone running.

The jarring motion made my neck whip and my hair fly and blurred my already blurred vision and my head hurt. My face was hurting. I wasn't sure. My nose was sore, my ribs hurt. I was hanging on the person holding me, and I was really small. The memory was muted, but I remember yelling, and funny pops. Someone yelled and the person holding me turned. I was far off the ground. My hair continued to fly.

The voice, feminine, low and very pretty but also so incredibly familiar yelled some kind of command, I couldn't remember what, and I turned my small head to look. I saw a beautiful woman running toward us; she looked kind of scared. She caught up to the man, took me and held me up. She smelled so comforting. Her shoulders were shaking and all I remember thinking is that a woman as pretty as she should never be sad. So I hugged her neck and pressed my face to her collarbone. I was wondering where someone was, I desperately wanted-

Darkness, and then I woke again. My ears hurt and I remember this sound in the air and I was uncomfortable and there was wind. A cabin with open sliding doors to the left and right and in front of me there were two big chairs, and men in helmets with earpieces sat there. The pretty woman was kneeled in front of me and her hair was dark and her eyes were dark and wet, but she was talking to me. "I'm sorry, Baby-" she kept crying the words and the man was holding her shoulders and his were convulsing. He was crying. Why were they crying? Why was she saying sorry? I'm all ways safe when I'm with-

"We... safe." She sobbed words I missed and pulled me to her chest und hugged me. I was starting to see, and I wanted to know; "Where's-" she cut me off.

"Here." she said and set me back down and took something out of her collar. Immediately my little eyes were fascinated because she never took it off, but now she put it on me. "Are you sure? If they-" the man started.

"They wont." she cut him off. "Not with me here." she was crying and desperate. She came close and murmured that everything would be okay, but my voice was shrill when I demanded- "Where's-"

Darkness. My eyes were slatted closed and I was being carried again. "Take care, watch her." The man from earlier said quietly. I saw a red blur and brown spots and heard a deep, deep rumble and I turned my head and I saw something under me. Brown eyes, set in a small face.

Darkness.

***

I didn't wake in any dramatic fashion. There was no horrified gasp, I didn't shoot out of bed like a bulet, I wasn't sweating, crying or screaming.

I simply opened my eyes.

And was then filled with rage. "Tom!" I roared and jumped out of bed so fast I sumbled on my shag carpeting. The deamon spawn laughter reached my ears as my freshman idiot brother and his friend turned to race out of my bedroom. "I'll kill you, Moron!" I yelled and stumbled after them, down the hallway before staggering and falling down the stairs. My hair, I was sure, was in a massive flyaway tumbleweed and my little tank top and too long plaid pajama bottoms were askew, the material at my feet tripping me up. Well, that and I was half blind without my glasses. I latched onto Tom, long black fingernalis digging into his arms and pulling him into a headlock before rubbing the flat of my knuckles across the top of his head. He began to wine and shriek and stumble, but I held on, very aware that in a year he'd be taller than me, and this trick would no longer work. The idiot had strawberry blonde hair and bright blue eyes, his face marred by the plethora of red dots and spots that accompanied puberty. His skin was deeply tanned, however, and he was all skin and gangly bone. "What now, dumbass?" I snapped while he wined like a wounded dog. "What are you gonna do now?"