Chapter 2

I woke up by Sofia shaking my arm lightly. The light burned my eyes and it made the hunger inside me grow. Wait a second. Light?

I shot out of the small bed of leaves I had made in the hollow of a tree "What's going on?"

"Active humans about a few miles from here" she said softly "Come on, we're locating to a nearby swamp"

It didnt matter to me. I could feel my eyes widen and absorb the living nature around me. The soft whistles of birds, the sound of the trees swinging with the cool wind. My blood rushed at the sudden change.

We rarely moved during sunlight, but when we did it was always out of a last resort, and it was always so beautiful and magical.

The rest were already up, game face on. For every ounce of sunlight that I enjoyed, I knew Lilith would be dying of frustration.

"Pretty awesome, huh?" I caught up with her, unable to hid the smile on my face

She scowled and walked faster, only slowing when she caught up with Sofia and Herve.

"What's her problem?" I demanded

Rosalie, who happened to be nearby, just shrugged "Keep moving, Rae"

And so we kept on moving until we reached the swamp. Actually, swamp was an understatement. This was a dump.

The water had turned a murky green from over pollution, and the ground was littered with bottles and hard rocks. The only tree that would provide us shelter was an old wilting thing that would barely be enough for three of us. The grass was tall and itched.

"Oh my" Rosalie clapped a hand to her nose

and as I looked at my clan, each one had a face of disgust on, clutching their noses.

For once, I was grateful for my curse. I pretended to close my nose as well, just as Herve puked in the grass.

"Are you kidding me, Jed?" Rosalie yelled

He sighed "Got any better ideas?"

"Yeah I do! And it doesn't involve a natural dump site" she snapped "Follow me everyone"

"You know the rules about traveling during sunlight, Rosalie" he warned

It didnt affect her "I'll keep it short"

Sure enough, just a few miles south, was an orchard. A clean one. With thick, tall trees for shelter. There was a mutual sigh of relief from us.

"Okay guys" Jed instructed "You know what to do. Get some sleep, we have a big night ahead of us. Lilith, Rae, it's your turn to take the first guarding shift"

Lilith groaned but obeyed as the rest climbed up or between bushes. She began the walk around the area. I caught up with her, slightly annoyed by her attitude.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked

She glared at me "Don't act like you don't know"

"But I don't know!"

"You were hitting on Jed!" she accused, her eyes flaring with anger.

I couldn't answer. Not only was my best friend and sister mad at me, she was mad at me over some guy.

"Are you serious?" I snapped

"Don't act so innocent I saw you with him"

I blinked "So?!"

"So how could you do that to Bella!" she hollered "I dont believe how heartless you are! she was your friend too!"

I chose my words carefully "Lilith. I've known you all my life. For the sake of our friendship please just take a moment to think about what you're accusing me of"

Having said that, I turned on my heel and stalked in the other direction. I had a clear view of the valley ahead of us and I went on with the task in hand, fuming inside.

how could she?

Maybe there was a small moment that occured between me and Jed, but that doesn't mean I was hitting on him. If anything, HE hit on ME. Which I am sure he didnt because that's not like Jed. I've known Jed longer than Lilith that doesn't mean I have a thing for him.

So how dare she accuse me of hurting Bella whom I loved like a sister? Of not caring about her or her memory.

I refused to allow myself to get overworked about this situation, so, inhaling deeply, I let myself relax. Lilith could come to me when she was ready to apologize. I just hope she does soon.

Wrong or right, I love Lilith. And I don't want anything to come in between us.