Rouge

Where I come from, your name represents you. A reflection of your character. Choosing your name, or having someone choose it for you, is the most important phase of your life.

"GET A MOVE ON, RAE!"

Snapping back, I ran to catch up with the rest, which was more difficult than it sounded due to the pitch dark. No moon tonight.

Jedrek. Jed. It means strong, manly. Adacuate description of our leader. He was all the way ahead of us, scouting the area, making sure its safe.

Lilith; Of the Night, again, a perfect description of the closest thing I have to a sister. She lives for the night, thrives from the darkness and rejuvenates from the cold night air. Nothing phases her.

"We have a couple more miles to cross tonight" Jed told us and eyed me "So you better all keep up the pace"

We began moving again. What does my name mean? Rae. From doe, meaning grace and beauty. I only fit in to one of those.

This time I sprinted with the rest rather than pondering with my thoughts. The silence was familiar, not a sound but the soft ruffle of the leaves beneath our feet.

It wasn't so bad, really. You hear things you normally wouldn't at night, and the air was fresher and the quiet was welcoming. The only downside was the dark.

Contrary to normal belief, we didnt have perfect vision at night. It was better than other's normal night vision, but not perfect. I like to think of us as larger cats.

Jed turned and shot me a look. I've been getting them a lot lately. I was slacking again. Besides sharpened senses, each one of us possessed a gift. Except me. I had a curse.

Finally reaching our destination, which was really nothing more than a typical wooden cabin, we stopped. We crouched. We waited until the last light went off.

"Ready?" Jed smirked. This was a thrill for him. He loved this part.

We nodded and went towards the cabin, each of us knew what to do and what role to play. I could see the hunger in their eyes. I was first to reach the cabin.

The real reason most cabins were made of wood is to keep us away. But, like the vision thing, it's false. Wood doesnt harm us no more than steel can.

Picking locks was my thing. Lilith preferred windows. After a while of rattling, I heard the soft click as the door unlocked and I stepped in with my clan. Dark again.

The cabin was fairly wide. Large living room, kitchen, bathroom......and four bedrooms. Jed, as our leader, and Rosalie, the oldest, went directly for the master bedroom. It was only fair that they get the largest share.

Three bedrooms left. Lilith turned to us and smiled "Twins in that room, about 15"

Beside me, Herve (meaning: Warrior) and Sofia (wise), the youngest, scowled, unhappy with their share but rules were rules, and trudged along silently.

Lilith nodded at me and went into the third bedroom, leaving me the last. He was asleep when I entered. Light curly brown hair, oval face and a tall masculine figure. Possibly 20.

I stood over him and breathed him in. I could taste the air he let out stained by his aroma. Just as I was about to begin, a muffled cry arose from the room Lilith was in. She was always so messy.

Unfortunately, the sound woke him up. And he stared at me. And I stared at him, hoping if I stayed still he would go back to sleep. But he didn't.

"Who are you?" he whispered

I opened my mouth but then clamped it shut again. His hand reached out and pulled strands of hair from my face.

"You're dreaming" my voice shook

He smiled "Well, its a good dream"

Nightmare, I wanted to correct. I had to do this fast. I put a hand over his mouth and leaned in to him. The heat rising from his body gave me a rush, and as gently as I could, I sank my teeth in the root of his neck.

He struggled underneath me, but I was stronger than him, and my hand tightened around his mouth as I drank my fill, and a little more, just to throw him off consciousness.

He was good. Wiping the remains of his blood from his neck, I proceeded to step two: erasing his memory of me.

After cleaning up, I joined the others outside, licking whatever was left from my fingers. We followed Jed again. After the hunting part comes my favorite part, the free time.

There is a transient shift of personality in them that is evident. A good shift. For one, Jed isnt always so serious and uptight. Once he lightens up, he's wonderful to be around.

Herve and Sofia were our young lovebirds. During this time, seeing them was rare. Lilith told me they go into the forests to make out.

Rosalie is usually a good companion and would chill with us, but not tonight. Tonight she was in combat with Lilith. "Teaching" her new moves.

I look around at my clan. My only family. And I smile because they're the best and I am one lucky vamp to be a part of them.