Chapter 5

I tasted blood in my mouth mixed with the dirt on the ground. One of the hunters had his boot on my head, making sure I was down. But that wasn't what kept me down. It was the what felt like 1000 volts of electricity being coursed through my body. That, and the slow realization that Jed and Lilith were not coming back for me.

Lilith wasn't coming back for me.

The fight in me had gone, and I was awaiting my murder, but that was expecting these hunters to have mercy and that would never happen. Not to one of my kind.

"How long do you think it'll be before they come back for her?" one of them asked.

I hissed and squirmed, earning another course of electricity.

"They-wont-" I panted, almost fainting from the pain. I sort of wished that I would, then maybe they'd think I was dead and leave me. But even if I did, there was 90% chance that they would burn me. Burn me alive.

"Well, we have nothing to fear then" one of them chuckled "Turn up the voltage, lets see what really kills a vampire"

"I have a better idea" one interrupted "What if the easiest and simplest way to kill a vampire- is to rip their hearts out?"

"Don't be silly, they don't have hearts" another one said coldly

"Only one way to find out"

I couldn't even scream as more electricity burned my blood, rendering me a flop of flesh. They flipped me over and pulled out a clip point hunting knife. I hated that the fear was apparent on my face, that my breath quickened and that could sense my weakness. I growled and I got the boot again, holding me down by my neck, blocking my air supply.

The one with the knife ripped my shirt in half and I felt the cold tip above my left breast, and then a sharp pain as it went in. I screamed and thrashed, but moving made the pain worse.

I couldn't stop myself from screaming. There was a loud ringing in my ears, and my body shivered. The cold blade tip kept going in, until it wasn't anymore.

The ringing wouldn't stop and I couldn't move, and my eyes wouldn't stay open. I felt as the weights of the hunters were removed, and I did the only thing I could, I dug my nails into the earth, and dragged myself with whatever strength I had. I did two drags before collapsing again, too sore and weak.

It was a vampire. I glimpsed him between the drags. But it wasn't Jed. He was built differently than Jed. I allowed myself to relax down again. If it was another clan, I was safe. I was with my kind. They would take care of me. They would reunite me with my own clan.

I could hear him growl- was it only one vampire?- and I could hear the hunters struggle to fight him, and the rips and splashes that meant someone had their throat ripped out. It didn't last long.

I could hear his footsteps along with the ringing that was beginning to fade in my ears. My eyes wouldn't open, but I felt myself being propped up slightly, causing more pain to shoot through me, and I winced liked the wounded animal I was.

He was asking me something but I couldn't hear him properly, and couldn't process words anymore. Was he even talking to me, or to the rest of his clan? It didn't matter. I was safe.

"Safe" I mustered all my vocal cords to whisper the words. Then I passed out.