Chapter 12

To say that I was horrified as I walked behind him through a market would be an understatement. He walked as if the humans weren't surrounding us everywhere, weren't staring at us because deep down they knew we were different.

After another human girl squinted her eyes at me, looking me up and down, I thought for sure something would happen. An outburst of 'they're blood sucking monsters!' maybe.

I paced my strides with his and managed to step past him, and stood in his way.

"I don't know what kind of sick vampire you are" I whispered angrily "But I would like to make it in one piece without advertising myself for murder"

He found it funny.

"I agreed to travel during daylight but dammit not in the midst of the crowds!" I continued "We are getting out of here and taking a more subtle road. NOW"

"Relax, babe" he mocked "I just need to find us a car" he paused and looked me the same way the human girl did "The only thing attracting attention, by the way, is all that hair"

He turned and walked to a red truck parked in a narrow street, meddling with the door handle while my hand shot up to flatten my hair down, cursing him out as I got in.

I had only traveled on busses, at night, with Jed. The rogue crunched his nose and rolled the window down. Inside the truck was a total dump. There were food wrappers and moldy leftovers on the seats, mud and more papers, cups, littered the floor.

I covered my nose to hide my little disability.

"Roll the windows down" he ordered as he fumbled with the wires beneath the wheel.

I pulled them down and sat patiently as he hot wired the car and it creaked to life. Indide, I was getting the jitters because not only was I riding a car, but I was doing it in broad daylight.

Lilith wouldve hated this. The thought of her made a smile that I hadnt realized I had formed, drop.

For a few miles, we drove in utter silence. I could feel my eyes widen with the scenery. It was like everything was different during daytime. The trees greener and the birds singing - it was beautiful.

I felt the warmth of the sun on my skin and the sun's rays tangling in my hair and a sigh escaped me.

The rogue looked at me and smiled "They keep you from a whole other world"

It was true. I did believe that the council did things for our own good, but we were missing out on experiences like this.

"How long have you been living like this?" curiosity got the best of me.

His eyes studied mine. If he was shocked that I was talking to him, he didnt show it.

"Almost ten years"

I thought of my family. Of Herve and Sofia making fun of Rosalie "Do you get lonely?"

He seemed surprised that I was talking to him or maybe he was taken aback by the question itself.

"Sometimes" He shifted in his seat slightly

"Don't you miss it?"

"The council?"

"Your clan" I stared at him but his eyes never met mine

"I never had one" he said gently "You can't miss what you never had"

"Then how'd you-

"For another time" he cut me off not harshly but in a more firmer tone than he had used.