Chapter 5: Changes

Chapter 5- Changes

R-i-i-i-i-p! I wince yet again as every follicle of hair on my body, save for some select places, is being yanked out. Apparently doing this makes me "prettier."

"Not that you weren't pretty in the first place!" One of my stylists, Airlia hurriedly corrected herself, in case they had offended me.

My other two stylists, Chrysilla and Zotico had shaken their heads, letting me know they felt the same way.

After what felt like forever, they deem me rid of all the unwanted hair.

"Now, your head stylist, Darien, instructed us to do nothing with your hair. And, in case you are wondering, makeup will be minimal- I know, it's a shame, but those were our orders. Now Zotico will do your fingernails, while Chrysilla paints your toenails, and I'll be doing your makeup."

I sit patiently, resisting nothing as I was instructed by Harry. I watch Zotico and Chrysilla paint my nails, and the whites and slivers remind me of the trees back home in the winter time. Airlia has me away from any mirrors, telling me I can't see how beautiful they are making me until they are done. A few times, she mentions how it is a shame we can't dye my skin, and how she wishes this Darien person would let her put some highlights or lowlights or some kind of lights in my hair. I don't know who this higher person is, but I am grateful.

I think of what everyone back home would think of the new Alexandra. I imagine Father would just smile, and say I look nice. Trevor isn't like most other younger brothers- he respects me. He is more intelligent than the rest of the boys his age, and it shows. He would probably say the same as Father, and maybe more. Marco... Sweet little Marco would more than likely act as if I was the most beautiful person he'd ever seen. Marco had made me blush on more than one occasion from his openness. Xavier... I like to think he wouldn't, but I know my brother like the back of my hand. He'd laugh, and I mean laugh. Inside, he'd think I looked great, but changing myself is something I don't do. A new look would be the perfect opportunity to tease me. I wouldn't mind though... It would mean I get to see him again. I'd give anything to be able to see my brothers again, just once, before going into that arena.

Sooner than I had expected, they declare that this is the best they can do given their limits. I am spun around, and find a very wonderful surprise in the mirror. It is me. The makeup is barely noticeable, and it makes me look that much better. My deep green eyes pop with the help of the smidge of black lining my eyes, my cheeks looking healthier than the slightly sunk in malnourished pockets they were before. I don't look as tired as I usually do. Basically, I look better than I normally do, but I still look like me. Nice!

They tell me Darien will be here in a moment, and they leave. I was instructed to take my robe off, and I grit my teeth and do as I was told. I wait patiently. Before I know it, there is a quiet knock on the door, and a man I assume to be Darien let himself in. I do my best not to shift my weight, and stand as still as I can as he walks in a slow circle around my naked body. I surprise myself by not closing my eyes in discomfort, and after a few seconds, he tells me to slip my robe back on.

I run my hands along the smooth silk robe I have been given to wear, and have a minor panic attack when I see Xavier's ring missing. I spin around, my eyes searching frantically for the ring. I feel my heart slow back down when I see it sitting on the edge of a counter. I walk over to get it, and quickly pick my ring up and slip it onto my finger before walking back towards him. He merely glances at the ring, before slipping his hand in mine.

"I'm Darien. It's nice to meet you." He says, giving my hand a squeeze.

"Alexandra. This is your," I pause, thinking. "Second year, being District 11's stylist?" I ask.